Hon’ble Defence Minister of India Rajnath Singh visited Mozambique from july 28-30 2019.This is the first official visit of Rajnath Singh as a Defence Minister to the African country as well as it is the first time ever a defence minister of India has visited Mozambique.
The Defence Minister was accompanied by the Defence secretary, Coast guards and senior officials of Ministries of External Affairs and defence.Visit
Rajnath singh visited the Prime Minister of MozambiqueCarlos Agostinho do Rosário in Maputo, Mozambique on 29th morning and also met Foreign Affairs and Cooperation minister, H.E.Pacheco.
- Later a high delegation- level talks were held with his Mozambican counterpart Atanasio SalvadorM’tumuke.
A Ceremony was held at the Mozambican naval headquarters to hand over Two India made Fast Interceptor Boats (FIBs) to the Mozambican navy where four members from Indian Coast Guard System (ICGS) team will be assisting with training and maintenance and operating the two boats.
- The handing over certificate was signed by Director General, Coast Guards of India and chief of Mozambican navy.
- Mozambique has sought India’s cooperation to deal with the growing terrorism and radicalisation in its country and the ongoing Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintergration (DDR) process was explained by the Mozambican defence minister.
- In order to boost the safety and security of the Mozambican police forces, 44SUVs (Sport Utility Vehicle)were gifted by the defence minister on behalf of India to the Minister of Interior H.E. Jaime Basilio Monteiro.
In order to strengthen the Indo-Mozambican Defence cooperation, the Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh signed Two Memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Mozambique, which are
- Agreement on sharing white shipping information and
- Cooperation in the field of hydrography.
♦ Capital- Maputo
♦ Currency- Metical
♦ Largest city – Matola
♦ Prime minister- Carlos Agostinho do Rosario