On March 17, 2021, Data Patterns India Pvt Ltd handed over the Indigenously developed ‘Checkout System’ to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for its ‘Gaganyaan’ Mission (India’s 1st Human Space Flight Programme) at Chennai.
- A checkout system is used for performing health checks on all cable harness assemblies used in the crew module of ‘Gaganyaan’ Mission.
- The checkout system was received by K Xavier Raja, Deputy Director of HSFC (Human Space Flight Centre). HSFC is responsible for the implementation of the Gaganyaan Project.
- ISRO’s ‘Gaganyaan’ mission is scheduled for launch in 2022-23.
Prelude to ‘Gaganyaan’
As a prelude to ‘Gaganyaan’, ISRO has planned to launch the first unmanned mission in December 2021 followed by the Second unmanned mission in 2022-23.
- The INR 10, 000 Crore Gaganyaan Mission aims to send a 3-member crew to space for a period of 5-7 days by 2022-23 when India completes 75 years of Independence.
- India’s Gaganyaan Mission will make it just the 4th Nation to send a crew into space after Russia (1st), the USA & China.
- Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC) is responsible for the implementation of the ‘Gaganyaan Mission’. It functions under ISRO.
- HSFC will carry out end-to-end mission planning, development of Engineering systems for crew survival in space, crew selection, training and for carrying sustained human space flight missions.
- It was inaugurated in 2019 and is based at ISRO Headquarter campus, Bengaluru.
Recent Related News:
i.On November 17, 2020, Larsen & Toubro (L&T) delivered First Hardware – a Booster Segment – ‘S-200’ for Gaganyaan Launch Vehicle to ISRO in a virtual flag-off ceremony.
About Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC):
Established – 2019
Director – Dr S Unnikrishnan Nair
Location – ISRO Headquarters Campus, Bengaluru, Karnataka