Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
India to present Indo-Africa Summit
India is going to chair the 4 days 3rd India-Africa summit from October 26 – October 30. India is a major investor in Africa with current trade figures of around USD 75 billion dollar and trade has shown a remarkable progress in recent years.
VENUE – New Delhi
Representatives from Indian chambers of commerce
Representatives of 54 African nations including heads of state
Government of around 40 countries
Powerful African Union
India has implemented a total of 137 projects in 41 African countries
International Civil Helicopters Conclave 2015 inaugurated
Union Minister of Civil Aviation Sh. P. Ashok Gajapathi Raju has initiated “International Civil Helicopters Conclave – 2015” and exhibition on “Safety Management System, Multi Mission Utility and Regional Air Connectivity” at DRDO Bhawan, New Delhi.
Occasion marked the 30th anniversary of Pawan Hans Limited (Helicopter Service Company). Shri Raju also launched the corporate logo of Pawan Hans Limited and coffee table book.
- New civil aviation policy is also during the event which will reform helicopter sector with light touch regulations
- For safety purpose of helicopter, GAGAN satellite assisted navigation systems serving as a guard with efficient monitoring and tracking of helicopter movement by providing one metre resolution even in unregulated air-space
- The proposed policy will simplify procedures and remove policy blocks
NITRA -Tajikistan MoU to boost bilateral trade
Encouraging the bilateral trade between India and Tajikistan Northern India Textile Research Association (NITRA) under textiles ministry has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Technological University of Tajikistan during the CII Taxon 2015 organised by industry lobby Confederation of Indian Industry in New Delhi.
AIM OF MoU
To promote textile enterprises in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan
To allow India’s small and medium enterprises to explore new markets in Central Asia
- There will one inking of pact with the National Institute of Fashion Technology (under the textiles ministry)
- Trade cooperation between developing countries is pushed by Geneva-based UN’s International Trade Centre
Rajasthan inked 13 agreements worth Rs 50,527 crore
Being a first state in submitting of detailed plan for providing 24X7 power for all now Rajasthan has signed 13 pacts valued at Rs 50,527 crore with public sector undertakings in the areas of mines, cement and power sector.
- These agreements will introduce new technologies in exploration, minimise wastage, waste recycling and will create employment opportunities especially for weaker sections.
Agreements were signed in the presence of
Rajasthan CM – Vasundhara Raje
Union Minister for Steel and Mines – Narendra Singh Tomar
Union Minister for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy – Piyush Goyal
- MoUs were signed between PSBs – SAIL, NLC, RINL, Hindustan Copper and FCI
- In private sector companies – Reliance Cement, Hindustan Zinc, Jindal Saw, Utra Tech Cement, Marwar Cement, Ojaswi Marble and Granite and Ambuja Cement
SC rejected NJAC Act as “unconstitutional and void”
Introduction of National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) Act and the 99th Constitutional Amendment has been refused by the Apex Court which gives access of decision making to politicians and civil society in the appointment of judges to the highest courts.
- Both the laws passed by the Modi government amending the Constitution to create the National Judicial Appointments Commission to handle all future appointment of judges by replacing the old collegium system and to bring more transparency in recruitment process.
The 5 judge Bench constitution bench headed by Justice JS Khehar rejected the NJAC Act and the Constitutional Amendment as “unconstitutional and void” with 4:1
1100-km gas pipeline agreement inked between Pak-Russia
On the sidelines of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation summit in Ufa an agreement has been signed between two nations to build 1,100-km gas pipeline from Lahore to Karachi.
- Russia will infuse $2 billion in the project whose first phase expected to conclude by December 2017
- The North-South gas pipeline project would be built by Russian company RT Global Resources
- The project will be in accordance with BOOT model (Build Own Operate Transfer).
- For 25 years pipeline will be owned and operated by the builder after that it will be handed over to the Pakistan government.
- Pipeline with a potential of 12.4 billion cubic metres p/a will connect Karachi’s liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals with Lahore
Earlier a defence deal for the sale of 4 Mi-35 “Hind E” attack helicopters to Pakistan was signed between two nations.
China launches communication satellite for HK firm
China launched its new communication satellite “APSTAR-9” in a commercial mission by the Long March-3B carrier rocket from the southwestern Xichang Satellite Launch Centre. It will succeed “APSTAR-9A” that was launched in 1998.
MISSION PERIOD – 15 years
- It is the first ever satellite based upon DFH-4 platform acquired by APT Satellite Company Limited of Hong Kong.
- With the new satellite APSTAR will cover three quarters of global population in Asia, Europe, Africa and Australia to provide TV transmission and transponder, data and satellite communication services.
- It is developed by China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASTC)
US to extend military presence in Afghanistan
President Barack Obama has confirmed plans to extend the US military presence in Afghanistan after 2016 to help Afghan forces from growing Taliban threat.
- There are currently 9,800 US troops stationed in Afghanistan.
- The US forces will be stationed in four locations – Kabul, Bagram, Jalalabad and Kandahar
BANKING AND FINANCE
RBI sub-office unlocked in Imphal
As a part of “Look East Policy” RBI has opened a new sub-office in Imphal which will support unbanked block of North-East to have banking presence. With RBI offices are expanded to 5 states in North-East.
This new segment will comprise of Financial Inclusion and Development Department, Consumer Education and Protections Cell and Market Intelligence Unit.
- The sub-office was inaugurated by Manipur CM O Ibobi Singh and RBI Deputy Governor Harun R Khan
- State government will focus on flood control under the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF)
- This initiative will improve banking facilities with the adoption of digital connectivity
Mahindra Comviva stepped in payments bank market
Having 25% market share in the global mobile money market, Mahindra Comviva publicized its gaining to the Indian market to provide the technological solutions and infrastructure to the payments banks in India on sidelines of the RBI’s announcement to issue licenses to 11 payments banks.
- Mahindra Comviva has enhanced its leading mobile financial solution “mobiquity” to meet the needs of the payments and small finance banks in India
- Company will focus on two core groups: the unbanked and millennial (aged 15-35 years)
- Mahindra Comviva’s technological product has been deployed with Idea and is expected to be adopted by Tech Mahindra as well when it rolls out its own payments bank
- Airtel Money in Africa already uses Mahindra Comviva’s systems
Malaysia proposed to invest 30 billion US dollars for urban development in India
Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) of Malaysia has proposed to invest USD 30 billion in urban development and housing projects in India. National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC) of the Ministry of Urban Development will be partwith these projects.
PARTS OF PROJECT
- Redevelopment of New Delhi Railway Station adjoining area as a mini-smart city with an outlay of USD 24 billion
- CIDB also proposed to take up a Green City Project at Garhmukhteshwar in Uttar Pradesh involving housing and Ganga cleaning projects with an infusion of USD 4 billion
CIDB is a government agency which has implemented various construction projects overseas with an investment of USD 24 billion since its inception in 1995.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Lifetime achievement award conferred on NRI journalist
Asian Cricket Awards has bestowed its Lifetime Achievement award to London based NRI journalist Mihir Bose, in a ceremony at Lord’s Ground in London for his contribution to cricket journalism.
- Bose is a writer and broadcaster and was born in Kolkata
- Acclaimed books such as The Spirit of the Game and A History of Indian Cricket were written by him
- He also serves as the BBC’s first Sports Editor and wrote for all the leading British newspapers including the Sunday Times, Daily Telegraph, Financial Times and London Evening Standard
Prasoon Joshi honoured by BOB
Mumbai headquartered Bank of Baroda has bestowed poet, lyricist and advertising guru Prasoon Joshi with Maharaja Sayajirao Bhasha Samman for his outstanding contribution in promoting Hindi.
- The award is presented in the memory of Bank of Baroda’s founder Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad-III which is presented with a Cheque of Rs. 1.01 lac and a memento as token of the award
Bank also awarded two meritorious students of SNDT Women’s University of Mumbai who scored maximum marks in MA (Hindi) Examination-2015 and also the winners of various Hindi competitions.
Bill Clinton receives human rights award in Connecticut
University of Connecticut awarded the 42nd U.S. President Bill Clinton with Thomas J. Dodd Prize in International Justice and Human Rights.
- He has shared the prize with Tostan who is Senegal-based human rights group that promotes literacy and community engagement in mostly rural areas of Africa
- Award is named after the late Connecticut U.S. senator, who was a leading prosecutor at the Nuremberg war crimes trials
- Occasion also celebrated the 20th anniversary of the UConn research center which was named after S. Senator Chris Dodd, known as father of former Connecticut.
- Award consists of $75,000, a diploma and a commemorative bronze bust of Thomas J. Dodd.
Indian lifters bagged to positions at CWC
Commonwealth Youth, Junior and Senior Weightlifting Championships were held at Pune, Maharashtra from October 11-15. Indian team sparked its name by winning 5 categories out of 6.
TOP POSITION CATEGORY
Senior men, senior women, junior men, junior women and youth girl’s categories
RUNNER UP CATEGORY
Youth boy’s category where trophy was bagged by Sri Lankan team
|S Sathish Kumar||Senior men (77 Kg)|
|S Mirabai Chanu||Senior women (48Kg)|
|R V Rahul||Junior men (85 Kg)|
|Pramila Krisani||Junior women (53kg)|
|Mohini Chavan||Youth girls (48kg)|
|Lalu Taku||Youth boys (69kg)|
Nitin, Sabhyata shines in under-16 national tennis titles
21st edition of Fenesta Open National Tennis championship in New Delhi from 5th – 17th October has shown the triumphant of Nitin K Sinha and Sabhyata Nihalani.
UNDER – 16 TITLES
In U-16 Boys Nitin K Sinha defeated Parikshit Somani by 6-3 6-0
In U-16 Girls Sabhyata Nihalani defeated Akansha Bhan by 7-5 7-5
UNDER – 14 TITLES
U-14 Boys Mann Maulik Shah defeated Shashikant Rajput by 6—1 6—2
U-14 Girls Sanya Singh defeated Salsa Ahir by 6—3 6—1
ABOUT FENESTA OPEN NATIONAL TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP
Since 1998 DCM Shriram Ltd. (under All India Tennis Association) organises the NATIONAL HARDCOURT TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP
11th chief of Naval Staff passed away
Ati Vishisht Seva Medal and Param Vishisht Seva Medal awardee, former Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Radhakrishna Hariram Tahiliani passed away who joined Indian Navy in in 1950 and served as its 11th Chief of Naval Staff from December 1984 to November 1987.
He was the father of Indian fashion designer Tarun Tahiliani.
NICKNAME – Greyest of the Grey Eagles
- He was graduated from French Test Pilot School
- He was the first to land on the deck of INS Vikrant on a Sea Hawk fighter on May 18, 1961
- The Admiral had commanded the carrier borne squadron INAS 300 during the 1971 India-Pakistan war
- He had also command of the INS Trishul and the aircraft carrier INS Vikrant
- Admiral Tahiliani served as the Governor of Sikkim between February 8, 1990 and September 20, 1994.
- He was also elected to the board of Transparency International in 2002 and then served as its chairman
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty observed
17th October is celebrated as the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty to recognize the effort and struggle of people living in poverty. This day provides them an opportunity to make their concerns heard and let them use their expertise in the eradication of poverty.
THEME – “Building a sustainable future: Coming together to end poverty and discrimination”
The day was first observed on 17th October 1987 Paris, France but the resolution was adopted on 22 December 1992