AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 16,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- The government has directed internet majors Google, Facebook, Whats App, Instagram, Microsoft and Yahoo to immediately remove links of which online game?
1.White Whale Challenge
2.Blue Whale Challenge
3.Green Whale Challenge
4.Black Whale Challenge
5.Yellow Whale Challenge
Answer-.Blue Whale Challenge
The Blue Whale Challenge is a suicide game in which the player is given certain tasks to complete for a period of 50 days and the final task leads to suicide. Mumbai and West Midnapore district have reported deaths linked to this game.
- . The 6th session of India-Turkmenistan Inter-Governmental Commission (IGC) on Trade, Economic, Scientific & Technological Cooperation was held on August 14, 2017 in:
1.New Delhi, India
Turkmenistan Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Rashid Meredov led high-level delegation comprising senior officials of the Government of Turkmenistan participated in this session. Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Mr. Meredov comprehensively reviewed the entire gamut of bilateral relations and took stock of the progress achieved in the areas of energy, trade and economic cooperation, transport and connectivity, security cooperation, civil aviation, information technology, science and technology, cultural and educational matters.
- India’s first partition museum will open in:
A museum based on the partition of the Indian subcontinent is set to open this week in Amritsar, Punjab. The museum will feature photographs, newspaper clippings and personal items showcasing the struggle for freedom and the violence that followed during the partition of the country.
- On August 14, 2017, a MoU was signed between GeM and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), in the presence of Ms. Nirmala Sitharaman, Commerce & Industry Minister at Udyog Bhawan, New Delhi. Abbreviation GeM stands for:
This MoU between GeM and CII is aimed at establishing GeM Samvaad – a participative and collaborative approach with the industry for promoting Indian industry and entrepreneurship. As part of this initiative, GeM & the Indian industry shall work together to create GeM related awareness.
- On August 16, 2017 ‘Indira Canteen’, aimed at serving food to poor at subsidized rates, was inaugurated in:
‘Indira Canteen’, aimed at serving food to poor at subsidized rates, was inaugurated in Bengaluru on August 16, 2017, by Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi. Rahul Gandhi who had the first breakfast at the canteen in Jayanagar, said ‘Indira Canteens’ would serve the migrants who came to Bengaluru with a dream to build something.
- Who among the following launched a live Twitter wall for promoting ‘Bharat Ke Veer portal’ on the eve of the 71st Independence Day?
1.President Ram Nath Kovind
2.Vice President Venkaiah Naidu
3.Prime Minister Narendra Modi
4.Home Minister Rajnath Singh
5.Defence Minister Arun Jaitley
Answer-4.Home Minister Rajnath Singh
‘Bharat Ke Veer portal’ portal aims to facilitate online donation directly to the families of paramilitary troopers who have sacrificed their lives for the country in line of duty from January 1, 2016.
- In October 2017, which country will host the summit of Group of Seven (G7) Interior Ministers to discuss security matters?
Answer-Answer – 3.Italy
Italian Interior Minister Marco Minniti said the meeting is being organized at the request of Italy’s G-7 partners: Canada, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Japan and the United States.
- . On August 15, 2017, which two Asian countries signed three pacts to boost their ties in power and energy sectors?
1.China & Sri Lanka
2.China & Pakistan
3.Pakistan & Nepal
4.Nepal & China
5.Pakistan & Sri Lanka
Answer-4.Nepal & China
The agreements between China and Nepal covered three different domains – economic and technological cooperation, China-aid oil and gas resources survey project and framework agreement on promotion of investment and economic cooperation.
- On August 15, 2017, President of which country declared that 50-year conflict with FARC guerrillas is finally over?
President Juan Manuel Santos declared Colombia’s 50-year conflict with FARC guerrillas finally over on August 15, 2017, as the last truckloads of decommissioned weapons rolled away to be melted down.
- Which among the following city has topped the Global Liveability Rankings compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) for seventh-straight year?
4.New York, United States
5.London, UKAnswer-2.Melbourne, Australia
Global Liveability ranking quantifies the challenges that might be presented to an individual’s lifestyle in any given location, and allows for direct comparison between locations. Every city is assigned a rating of relative comfort for over 30 qualitative and quantitative factors across five broad categories – stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
- Which among the following bank has introduced the option of an “instant credit card” for free for its Net banking customers?
2.City Union Bank
3.Karur Vysya Bank
5.Kotak Mahindra BankAnswer-2.City Union Bank
For ‘instant credit card’ all that a customer has to do is log on to his/her net banking account and seek a credit card. Only condition is that, the customer must have a fixed deposit with the bank.
- India will host the next steering committee meeting of the proposed 1,814 kilometre-long Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline. This project was initially proposed in which year?
Answer-Answer – 3.1995
India will host the next steering committee meeting of the proposed 1,814 kilometre-long Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline. The meeting will be held in New Delhi. This decision was taken during the sixth joint Inter-Governmental Committee (IGC) meeting on trade, economic, scientific and technological cooperation.
- Which entity has launched a new website ‘PlanYourGoal.com’ to help users plan their investments according to their future financial goals?
3.AU Small Finance Bank
4.ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund
Answer-4.ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund
The website has been launched to help users plan their investments according to their future financial goals. The website guides the users to plan their big spends, tax investments as well as the corpus required during retirement.
- On August 14, 2017, SpaceX successfully launched _________ ‘Spaceborne Computer’ towards the International Space Station using Falcon 9 rocket.
2.Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s
5.Toshiba’sAnswer-2.Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s
The launch is part of Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s joint experiment with NASA to test if high performance computing hardware can survive in outer space conditions. SpaceX also recovered the Falcon 9 rocket, marking its 14th successful rocket landing.
- Scientists from which institute have developed a silk patch to repair damaged heart tissue?
1. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati
2. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur
3. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur
4. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee
5. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) BengaluruAnswer-1.Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati
Scientists at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati have fabricated a 3D cardiac tissue patch using silk protein membranes seeded with heart muscle cells. The patch can potentially be used for regenerating damaged heart tissue.
- A new species of a 100-million- year-old damselfly discovered in _____ has been named in honour of famed British broadcaster and naturalist Sir David Attenborough.
The species, belonging to a group more commonly known as shadow damsels, has been named Mesosticta davidattenboroughi. Researchers decided to name the new species after David Attenborough because of his long-standing appreciation of dragonflies, and to celebrate his 90th birthday.
- According to a study by climate researchers from multiple institutions in India, aeroplanes may be ejecting significant amounts of ________, a pollutant known to aggravate breathing disorders, upset the monsoon, quicken glacier melt and depletes the ozone layer.
5.Blue SulphurAnswer-1.Black Carbon
Black Carbon is formed through the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, biofuel, and biomass. It is known to dissipate and settle down in a few months under the influence of rain and wind and is unlikely to travel upward of 4 km. However, as per the study, the climate researchers have evidence of such particles existing up to 18 km into the stratosphere and there are about 10,000 of them in every cubic centimetre.
- . US-based Rice University researchers have found a new tectonic plate in the eastern Pacific Ocean off Ecuador’s coast. This is the ________ plate to be discovered and the first in nearly a decade.
US-based Rice University researchers have found a new tectonic plate in the eastern Pacific Ocean off Ecuador’s coast. It is named after a Colombian island, the Malpelo plate. It is the 57th plate to be discovered and the first in nearly a decade.
- Which among the following bank has bagged the best performance awards for SHG-bank linkage programme for Karnataka for 2015-16 and 2016-17 from National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)?
2.Bank of Baroda
5.Bank of IndiaAnswer- 3.Corporation Bank
Corporation Bank was given the award for its overall performance under SHG-bank linkage programme for 2015-16 and 2016-17 among commercial banks operating in Karnataka. The bank has formed more than 1.32 lakh self-help groups (SHGs) till date.
- Who among the following Tennis player will return to the number one spot in ATP Rankings on August 21, 2017?
5.Rafael NadalAnswer-5.Rafael Nadal
Tennis player Rafael Nadal will return to the number one spot in ATP Rankings on August 21, 2017, after Roger Federer pulled out of the Cincinnati Masters due to an injury. The last time Nadal was world number one was on July 6, 2014.
- . On August 14, 2017, Indian Men’s Hockey team defeated which team by 2-1 to win the series?
Led by Manpreet Singh, the team featured nine players from the junior team, but they still managed to beat an experienced Netherlands squad through goals from Gurjant (4th minute) and Mandeep (51).
- On August 13, 2017, who among the following beat Roger Federer by 6-3, 6-4 in the Rogers Cup final?
5.Alexander ZverevAnswer-5.Alexander Zverev
The Rogers Cup tournament was held in Washington, USA and Zverev is the youngest Rogers Cup finalist. Zverev posted his 10th consecutive victory and fifth tournament title this year.
- How many medals did Indian boxers win in the 6th Golden Glove women’s Boxing Tournament at Vojvodina, Serbia?
India won two gold, four silver and four bronze medals. The gold-medalists were Jyoti (51kg) and Vanlalharitpuii (60kg). The silver medals were clinched by Anjali (48kg), Sakshi (54kg), Ashtha (69kg) and Anupama (81kg). Mandeep (57kg), Nisha (64kg), Shruti (75kg) and Neha (81+kg) settled for bronze medals after losing in the semi-finals.
- 2017 IAAF World Championships was held from 4th to 13th August 2017 in:
4.California, USAnswer-4.London, UK
The championships were held in the London Stadiumin Stratford, London, which hosted the 2012 Summer Olympics. Mascot of 2017 IAAF World Championships was an anthropomorphic hedgehog named Hero the Hedgehog, and for the Para Athletics the mascot was Whizbee the Bee.
- Which country topped 2017 IAAF World Championships claiming 30 total medals?
5.JapanAnswer-Answer – 1.US
It was the best-ever performance for the U.S. at worlds. The previous U.S. record was 26 total medals, set in 1991, 2007 and 2011. 30 medals matched East Germany’s record from 1987 for the most total medals at a single world championship.
- . Shanmuga Sundaram, who passed away on August 15, 2017, was:
2.Tamil Novel Writer
5.Tamil PoetAnswer-3.Tamil Actor
Actor Shanmuga Sundaram, who appeared in a number of Tamil movies in character and supporting roles, passed away on 15th August 2017. He was 79. The actor made his debut in the movie Ratha Kanneer in 1963 and went on to act in Karnan in 1964. It was, however, his role in Karagattakaran, the 1989 movie directed by Gangai Amaran as heroine Kanaga’s father that catapulted him to fame.
- Name the author of the book titled ‘Godman To Tycoon: The Untold Story of Baba the Ramdev’ which has been filed an injunction against the sale or printing by Yoga guru and entrepreneur Baba Ramdev.
2. Priya Pathak-Narain
3. Anurag Anand
4. Padma SachdevAnswer-2. Priya Pathak-Narain
On August 4, 2017 the court of the ACJ -CCJ – ARC (East), at the Karkardooma District Courts in Delhi restrained Juggernaut Books from publication and sale of Godman to Tycoon: The Untold Story of Baba Ramdev. They received an intimation and copy of the order on August 10, 2017 and have complied with it immediately thereafter. Yoga guru and entrepreneur Baba Ramdev has filed an injunction against the sale or printing of the book by Priya Pathak-Narain titled ‘Godman To Tycoon: The Untold Story of Baba Ramdev’.
- The Jharkhand Government has banned the sale of Hansda Shekhar’s two-year old collection of short stories book for portraying the Santhal community, particularly the women, in a ‘bad light’.Find out the name of book.
1. The Mysterious Ailment of Rupi Baskey
2. Disorderly Women
3. These Errors are Correct
4. The Adivasi will not danceAnswer-4. The Adivasi will not dance
The Jharkhand government has banned a collection of short stories released in 2015, The Adivasi Will Not Dance, on the grounds that it portrayed the Santhal community, particularly women, in a ‘bad light’, the Telegraph reported.Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar, the author of the book, won the Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puruskar in 2015 for his novel The Mysterious Ailment of Rupi Baskey.
- Which park has experienced the one of worsts deluge since 1988 nearly 85% of Park flooded with water on August 13, 2017?
1. Khirganga National Park, Himachal Pradesh
2. Kaziranga National Park , Assam
3. Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh
4. Kalesar National Park,HaryanaAnswer-2. Kaziranga National Park , Assam
The Kaziranga National Park has once again been hit, with more than 85% of the protected area going under water following heavy rainfall in the last 24 hours. In fact, officials claim this could be the worst flooding in nearly three decades.Water from the Brahmaputra river rushed into the area, triggering large-scale migration of animals from the park to the highlands in neighbouring Karbi Anglong district.