Cristiano Ronaldo has been named Uefa’s Best Player in Europe for the second time after winning the Champions League and Euro 2016. It is noted that the Real Madrid forward beat team-mate Gareth Bale and Atletico Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann were in the voting.
UEFA Best Player in Europe:-
The UEFA Best Player in Europe Award is an association football award given to the footballer playing for a football club in Europe that is considered the best in the previous season.
- The award, created in 2011 by UEFA, is aimed at reviving the European Footballer of the Year Award (Ballon d’Or), which was merged with the FIFA World Player of the YearAward in 2010 to become the FIFA Ballon d’Or It also replaced the UEFA Club Footballer of the Year award.
- Since its inception, the award has been won by Lionel Messi(2011, 2015), Andrés Iniesta (2012), Franck Ribéry (2013) and Cristiano Ronaldo (2014, 2016). Female players are awarded the UEFA Best Women’s Player in Europe Award, introduced in 2013.
- The award recognize the best player, irrespective of his nationality, playing for a football club within the territory of a UEFA member association during the previous season.Players are judged by their performances in all competitions, domestic and international, and at club and national team levels throughout the season.
- The award’s voting format is a return to the old Ballon d’Or, which was decided purely by journalists.
- In the first round of voting, 54 sports journalists representing each of the UEFA national associations provide a list of their three best-ranked players from one to three, with the first player receiving five points, the second three points and the third one point.
- The three players with the most points overall are shortlisted. The jury comprises renowned sports journalists representing each of UEFA’s national associations, from RTV Albania to the Daily Post in Wales via members of European Sports Media, with whom UEFA collaborated on this award.
About Christiana Ronaldo :
Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro is a Portuguese professionalfootballer who plays for Spanish club Real Madrid and the Portugal national team. He is a forward and serves as captain for Portugal.
- In 2008, he won his first Ballon d’Or and FIFA World Player of the Year He then won the FIFA Ballon d’Or in 2013 and 2014. In 2015, Ronaldo scored his 500th senior career goal for club and country.
- Often ranked as the best player in the world, Ronaldo was named the best Portuguese player of all time by the Portuguese Football Federation, during its 100th anniversary celebrations in 2015.
- He is the only player to win four European Golden Shoe One of the most marketable athletes in sport, in 2016 Forbes named Ronaldo the world’s best paid athlete. In June 2016,ESPN ranked him the world’s most famous athlete.
- Ronaldo began his club career playing for Sporting CP, before signing with Manchester United at age 18 in 2003. After winning his first trophy, the FA Cup, during his first season in England, he helped United win three successive Premier League titles, a UEFA Champions League title, and a FIFA Club World Cup. By age 23, he had received Ballon d’Or and FIFA World Player of the Year
- He was the subject of themost expensive association football transfer when he moved from Manchester United to Real Madrid in 2009 in a transfer worth €94 million ($132 million). In Spain, he has since won one La Liga title, two Copas del Rey, two Champions League titles, and a Club World Cup. Ronaldo holds the record for most goals scored in a single UEFA Champions League season, having scored 17 goals in the 2013–14 season.