China has successfully launched its 1st solar exploration satellite into space from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province aboard a Long March-2D rocket.The satellite was named as ‘Xihe’(Xihe is the goddess of the sun who created the calendar in ancient Chinese mythology), also known as the Chinese Hα Solar Explorer (CHASE).
- The satellite has been developed by the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC).The Satellite has entered its planned orbit.
- The satellite will operate in a sun-synchronous orbit at an altitude of 517 km, with a solar space telescope as its primary scientific payload. It will help researchers observe changes in the Sun during solar flares, such as changes in its atmospheric temperature and velocity.
- The Satellite will conduct the first space exploration of solar Hα spectral imaging, is expected to improve China’s research ability in solar exploration.
- 10 small satellites, an orbital atmospheric density detection experimental satellite, and a commercial meteorological detection constellation experimental satellite were also sent into space with the use of the same rocket.
- The current launch marks the 391st flight mission of the Long March carrier rocket series.
India’s Solar Exploration:
i.TheAditya-L1 mission is led by the ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) with an aim to set up a space-based observatory to track the sun. The mission is expected to be launched in 2022.
ii.It will provide observations of the Sun’s Corona (the outer atmosphere of the Sun), Chromosphere (UV) and photosphere (broadband filters).
-China Launches Shenzhou-13 with 3 Astronauts on a 6-month Space Station Mission
China launched a 3-astronauts crew for a 6-month mission aboard its space station. The launch is planned to set a new record for the length of time spent in space (i.e. the longest orbit) by Chinese astronauts.
- The Shenzhou-13 spaceship carrying the three astronauts was launched by a Long March-2F rocket. Shenzhou-13 is the 5th mission to the structure and it means ‘Divine Vessel’.
i.The new crew consists of Pilot ZhaiZhigang, Wang Yaping (the only woman on the mission), and Ye Guangfu. China is moving towards completing the orbiting structure.
ii.In 2020, China landed its Tianwen-1, its 1st fully homegrown Mars Mission, which was launched by Long March 5 Rocket, along with its accompanying Zhurong rover for exploring the evidence of life on Mars.
iii.Following the Soviet Union and the United State, China became the 3rd country (in October 2003) to put a person in space on its own rocket.
- China has launched seven crewed missions with a total of 14 astronauts aboard since 2003.
Recent Related News:
China has successfully launched its third Unmanned Cargo Aircraft (UCA) named Tianzhou-3 or Heavenly vessel from the Wenchang Spacecraft Launch Site in the southern province of Hainan, China, with help of the Long March-7Y4 rocket.
Capital – Beijing
President – Xi Jinping