On the occasion of birth anniversary of slain Congress leader Mahendra Karma, i.e. on August 5, 2020, the Chhattisgarh Chief Minister (CM) Bhupesh Baghel launched a social security scheme namely “Shaheed Mahendra Karma Tendupatta Sangrahak Samajik Suraksha Yojana” for tendu leaves collectors in the state covering over 12 lakh families, mostly tribals and forest dwellers.
- Tendu leaves: Used for making bidis (leaf-wrapped cigarettes), these are collected by forest dwellers and from them it is purchased by the state government.
- Mahendra Karma: He was popularly known as Bastar tiger for his tough stand against Naxals. He was among 29 people, including senior Congress leaders, who were killed in a Naxal attack in Jhiram valley of Bastar district on May 25, 2013.
About Shaheed Mahendra Karma Tendupatta Sangrahak Samajik Suraksha Yojana:
—Execution:The scheme will be executed jointly by the state’s forest department and Chhattisgarh State Minor Forest Produce (Trading and Development) Co-operative Federation Limited (CGMFPFED).
—Death of Family Head: A financial aid of Rs 2 lakh will be provided to the nominee in case of normal death of the family head (upto 50 years of age) of the registered tendu leaves collectors.
- In case of death due to accident, additional financial aid Rs 2 lakh will be provided, whereas in case of permanent disability caused due to the accident, assistance of Rs 2 lakh will be given and Rs 1 lakh in case of partial disability in the mishap.
- If the age of the family head is between 50 and 59 years, then in case of his/her normal death, Rs 30,000 will be provided as financial aid to the nominee, while Rs 75,000 in case of accidental death. Rs 75,000 will be given in case of permanent disability caused in the accident and Rs 37,500 in case of partial disability
Release of Payment by CM for procuring cow dung under ”Godhan Nyay Yojana”
During the occasion, the CM also released payment of Rs 1.65 crore against cow dung procurement to the 46,964 beneficiaries under Godhan Nyay Yojana.
- In July 2020, around 82,711 quintals of cow dung had been procured from 46,964 cattle rearers across the state between July 20 and August 1, 2020.
- This is the first of its kind scheme in the country where the state govt is procuring cow dung from cattle rearers and farmers at Rs 2 per kg (including transport cost) for preparing vermi- compost, which is being sold through cooperative societies to farmers. Read Chhattisgarh becomes the 1st state to launch “Godhan Nyay Yojana” , to Procure Cow Dung From Livestock Owners
Recent Related News:
On May 29, 2020, Former Chhattisgarh Chief Minister (CM) Ajit Pramod Kumar Jogi, passed away at the age of 74 in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. He was born on April 29, 1946 in Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh. He was the first CM of Chhattisgarh.
Chief Minister– Bhupesh Baghel
Governor– Anusuiya Uikey