On November 22, 2017, Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) gave approval for the expansion of schemes of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) under the umbrella scheme “Mission for Protection and Empowerment for Women”.
- The expansion has been approved for a period from 2017-18 to 2019-20 with financial outlay of 3636.85 crore. Central Share will be approximately Rs.3084.96 crore.
- All the sub-schemes are aimed to enhance care and protection of women and facilitate their overall development.
- Government is planning to establish One Stop Centres (OSCs) to provide comprehensive support to women affected by violence and deployment of Mahila Police Volunteers (MPVs) to create public-police interface.
- Pan-India expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao yojana to cover all 650 districts has been approved by CCEA.
- Besides, a new scheme called ‘Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra’ (PMSSK)’, which will empower rural women through community participation, has also been approved.
Salient Features of ‘Pradhan Mantri Mahila Shakti Kendra’:
PMSSK will be geared towards empowering rural women through community participation with an aim to create an environment in which they realize their full potential.
- Under Union Budget 2017-18, corpus of Rs 500 crore was announced for setting up Mahila Shakti Kendras in 14 lakh Anganwadi Centres at village level.
- The scheme is envisaged to work at National Level, State Level as well as District level and block level.
- Most important will be the block level initiatives, under which community engagement through Student Volunteers is envisioned in 115 most backward districts.
- More than 3 lakh student volunteers from local colleges will strive to generate awareness about various important government schemes/ programmes as well as social issues.
- This will provide an opportunity to students to bring change in their own communities and thereby contribute to nation building.
- Efforts put in by volunteer students will be monitored through web based system and they will be awarded certificates for community service.