On May 5, 2021, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave approval for several initiatives. They are
- Approval for Additional foodgrain under Phase-III of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY).
- Approval to MoU between India & United Kingdom (UK) on Global Innovation Partnership (GIP)
- Approval to MoU between India & UK on Migration and Mobility Partnership (MMP)
Allocation of additional foodgrain under PM-GKAY
i.The cabinet has accorded approval to the allocation of additional foodgrain under Phase-III of PM-GKAY for another period of 2 months – May to June 2021.
- Each beneficiary will get 5 Kg of food grains per month for free of cost.
- It is set to benefit around 79.88 Crore people covered under NFSA (National Food Security Act) – Antyodaya Anna Yojana – AAY & Priority Household – PHH & people under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
- The State/UT wise allocation will be decided by the Department of Food & Public Distribution based on allocation ratio under NFSA.
- The total outgo in terms of food-grains may be approximately 80 Lakh Metric Tonne (LMT).
ii.The allocation of food grains would require an estimated food subsidy of INR 25, 332.92 Crore, taking the estimated Economic Cost of INR 36789.2/MT for rice and INR 25, 731.4/MT for Wheat.
iii.The Allocations are aimed at alleviating the hardships faced by the poor due to economic disruption caused by Covid-19.
National Food Security Act, (NFSA) 2013
It was enacted on July 5, 2013.
i.Under this act, 5 Kgs of foodgrains per person per month at INR 3/2/1 per kg for rice/wheat/coarse grains are provided.
- It legally entitles 75% of the rural population & 50% of the urban population to receive subsidized foodgrains under Targeted Public Distribution System TDPS.
- Around two-thirds of the population of the country is covered under NFSA.
- It is implemented by the Department of Food & Public Distribution, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.
MoU between India & UK on GIP
The cabinet has accorded ex-post facto approval to the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Ministry of External Affairs, India & Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) of UK on Global Innovation Partnership (GIP).
- Through this MoU, India & UK agree to launch GIP.
i.GIP will support Indian Innovators to increase their innovations in developing countries thereby helping them explore new markets and become self-sustainable.
- Innovations under GIPs will focus on sectors related to Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), thereby assisting recipient countries to achieve their SDGs.
- The partnership will provide support through seed funding, grants, investments and technical assistance.
- GIP is set to develop an open and inclusive e-marketplace (E-BAAZAR) for cross border innovation transfer.
- GIP will boost the innovation ecosystem in India.
Approval for MoU between India & UK on MMP
The Cabinet has approved the signing of MoU on Migration and Mobility Partnership between India & UK.
- It aims at liberalising the issuance of visas which will promote the mobility of students, researchers and skills professionals.
- It will also tackle the issues related to irregular migration and human trafficking.
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), India will monitor the implementation of MoU through the Joint Working Group mechanism.
Recent Related News:
i.October 22, 2020, The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between India and Nigeria on Cooperation in the Exploration and uses of outer space for peaceful purposes.
About Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
Union Minister – Piyush Goyal (Rajya Sabha – Maharashtra)
Minister of State – Raosaheb Patil Danve (Lok Sabha – Jalna, Maharashtra)