Following are the Cabinet approvals on July 4, 2018.
Cabinet approves transfer of Defence land to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
4 acres for the construction of Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 at Kandhar Lines, Delhi Cantt.
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the transfer of 4 acres of Defence land to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS).
- It was done for the construction of Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 at Kandhar Lines, Delhi Cantt. at a nominal rent of one rupee per annum.
- At present, Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 at Delhi Cantt has been functioning from a temporary re-appropriated building in Survey No. 14, Delhi Cantt., since its establishment in 1994.
- Currently 956 children are studying in the school and construction of its own permanent school building by KVS will provide proper and comfortable academic environment.
7.5 acres for the construction of Kendriya Vidvalaya in Survey No. 408, Jalandhar Cantt
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today has approved the transfer of 7.5 acres of A-1 Defence land on lease at a nominal rent of Re 1/- per annum to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan
- This was done for the construction of Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 in Survey No. 408, Jalandhar Cantt.
- At present, Kendriya Vidyalaya No. 4 at Jalandhar Cantt. has been functioning since 1987 in a temporary re-appropriated MES building opposite Kalwant Hall in Survey No. 408, Jalandhar Cantt.
- Construction of own permanent school building by KVS will enable the school authorities to build optimal infrastructure to meet the educational requirements of the 1346 children currently studying in KVS
7.118 acres for construction of Kendriya Vidyalaya Number 2 Dhar Road in District Udhampur, Jammu & Kashmir
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the transfer of 56 kanals and 19 marlas (7.118 acres) of Defence land on lease on long term basis for 30 years renewable for two like terms of 30 years each to Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS).
- This was done for construction of KendriyaVidyalaya No. 2 at Udhampur, Jammu & Kashmir at a nominal rent of one rupee per annum.
- At present, Kendriya Vidyalaya Number 2, Dhar Road, Udhampur has been functioning in temporary buildings ever since its inception in 1985.
- Construction of own permanent school building by KVS will enable the school authorities to build optimal infrastructure to meet the educational requirements of the 851 children of serving personnel studying there currently.
Cabinet approves Transfer of 5.99 acres of Sashastra Seema Bal’s land at Tawang to the State Government of Arunachal Pradesh
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the Transfer of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)’s land measuring 5.99 acres at Tawang to the State Government of Arunachal Pradesh
- This was done for construction of a Mega-Festival-Cum-Multipurpose Ground for holding various tourism festivals.
- It will have parking facilities of 4,73 acres and construction of ring road of 1.26 acres.
- Government of India, (Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region) has already sanctioned the project titled “Construction of Mega-Festival-Cum-Multipurpose Ground with parking facilities and approach road at Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh” in March, 2016.
Cabinet approves exemption from charging commercial rates for the plot of land allotted to the High Commission of Fiji in New Delhi
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved an exemption from charging commercial rates at the time of acquisition for the plot No. 31-B, measuring 2800 sq.meter in Chanakyapuri, Diplomatic Area to the Fijian High Commission in New Delhi.
- He also has approved to extend the same terms and conditions as offered by Fiji for the land offered to the High Commission of India in Suva, Fiji.
- This is in line of the offering of a plot of land measuring 6695 sq. meters, by the Government of Fiji in August 2015, at a special lease of 99 year period with a rent of FJ $ 100 per annum to be assessed every 5 years for construction of the High Commission of India in Suva, Fiji and proposed exchange of land on reciprocal basis.
High Commissioner of Fiji in India:
Cabinet approves accession to WIPO Copyright Treaty, 1996 and WIPO Performance and Phonograms Treaty, 1996
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approvedthe proposal submitted by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry regarding accession to the WIPO Copyright Treaty and WIPO Performers and Phonograms Treaty.
i. This extends coverage of copyright to the internet and digital environment and is a step towards the objective laid in the National Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy adopted by the Government on 12th May 2016 which aims to get value for IPRs through commercialization.
ii. These treaties will help India:
- To enable creative right-holders to secure a return on the investment made in producing and distributing creative works through international copyright system;
- To facilitate international protection of domestic rights holder as India already extends protection to foreign works through the International Copyright order and these treaties will enable Indian right holders to get reciprocal protection abroad;
- To instill confidence and distribute creative works in digital environment with return on investment; and
- To spur business growth and contribute to the development of a vibrant creative economy and cultural landscape.
About WIPO Copyright Treaty
It came in force on March 6, 2002 and has been adopted by 96 contracting parties till date and is A Special agreement under Berne Convention (for protection of literary and artistic works). It has provisions to extend the protection of copyrights contained therein to the digital environment.
Cabinet approves DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill, 2018
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved The DNA Technology (Use and Application) Regulation Bill 2018.
- This would expand the application of DNA-based forensic technologies to support and strengthen the justice delivery system of the country.
- It would ensure speedier justice delivery.
- Bill’s provisions will enable the cross-matching between persons who have been reported missing on the one hand and unidentified dead bodies found in various parts of the country on the other, and also for establishing the identity of victims in mass disasters.
Cabinet approves Umbrella Schemes for Relief and Rehabilitation of Migrants and Repatriates
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for continuance of the 8 existing schemes of the Ministry of Home Affairs upto March 2020 for relief and rehabilitation of migrants and repatriates under the Umbrella scheme “Relief and Rehabilitation of Migrants and Repatriates”.
i. The financial implication for this purpose is Rs. 3183 crore for the period 2017-18 to 2019-20. The year-wise phasing of the scheme will be- Rs. 911 crore in 2017-18, Rs.1372 crore in 2018-19 and Rs. 900 crore in 2019-2020.
ii. The 8 schemes approved for continuance are already in operation, and the benefits under each will be extended to intended beneficiaries in accordance with the approved criterion.
iii. The scheme are:
- Central Assistance for one-time settlement of displaced families from Pak Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (PoJK) and Chhamb settled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Rehabilitation Package and up-gradation of infrastructure of the Bangladeshi Enclaves and Cooch Behar District after transfer of enclaves between India and Bangladesh under Land Boundary Agreement.
- Relief assistance to Sri Lankan refugees staying in camps in Tamil Nadu and Odisha.
- Grant-in-Aid to Central Tibetan Relief Committee (CTRC) for five years for administrative and social welfare expenses of Tibetan settlements.
- Grant-in-Aid to Government of Tripura for maintenance of Brus lodged in relief camps of Tripura.
- Rehabilitation of Bru/Reang families from Tripura to Mizoram.
- Grant of enhanced relief of Rs. 5.00 lakh per deceased person, who died during 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots.
- Central Scheme for Assistance to Civilian Victims/Family of Victims of Terrorist/Communal/LWE Violence and Cross Border Firing and Mine/IED blasts on Indian Territory’.
Cabinet approves renaming of Agartala Airport, Tripura as Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore Airport, Agartala
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today gave its approval to rename the Agartala Airport in Tripura as ‘Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore Airport, Agartala.
- This was done to pay tribute to Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore.
- Agartala Airport was constructed in 1942 on the land donated by Maharaja Bir Bikram Manikya Kishore.
- Due to his initiative, an aerodrome at Agartala was constructed that has evolved as the second busiest airport in the North East and provides crucial air connectivity to Tripura.
Cabinet approves extension of Scheme of Recapitalization of Regional Rural Banks upto 2019-20
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the extension of the scheme of recapitalization of Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) for the next three years i.e. upto 2019-20.
- This will enable the RRBs to maintain the minimum prescribed Capital to Risk Weighted Assets Ratio (CRAR) of 9 per cent.
- There are 56 RRBs functioning in the country. As on 31st March, 2017(Prov.), the total credit given by RRBs is Rs.2,28,599 crore.
About the Scheme of Recapitalization:
The scheme of Recapitalization of RRBs started in FY 2010-11 and was extended twice in the year 2012-13 and 2015-16. The last extension was upto 31.03.2017. A total amount of Rs. 1107.20 crore, as Gol share, out of Rs.1450 crore, has been released to RRBs upto 31st March, 2017. The remaining amount of Rs.342.80 crore will be utilized to provide recapitalization support to RRBs whose CRAR is below 9%, during the years 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20.
Cabinet approves creation of one post each of Vice-Chairperson and Member in the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the creation of one post each of Vice-Chairperson and Member in the National Commission for Safai Karmacharis.
- The National Commission for Safai Karmacharis is working for the welfare of both Safai Karamcharis and Manual Sacavengers.
- It was formed under Section 31 of the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act 2013.
- Its function are : to monitor the implementation of the Act, To enquire into complaints regarding contravention of provisions of the Act, to advice Central and State Governments for effective implementation of the Act.
Cabinet approves revision of the compensation on SESF Operations with Boeing 747-400 aircraft
On July 4, 2018, The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval to enhance the expenditure for “Special Extra Section Flights” (SESF) operations to Rs.534.38 crore plus applicable taxes for 2016-17 with built-in annual escalation of 10%.
- This was enhanced from Rs.336.24 crore plus applicable taxes from Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA)’s decision made in October, 2011.
- This was done to compensate the cost of living index and exchange fluctuation for the maintenance of B747-400 aircraft.
About SESF B747-400 aircraft:
Air India (Al) operates SESF with B747-400 aircraft for the President, the Vice President and the Prime Minister of India. The costs on account of these flights are reimbursed to Al by the respective Ministries.
Cabinet approves renewal of MoU between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India & Saudi Organisation for Certified Public Accountants
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed in 2014 and approval for renewal of MoU between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) & Saudi Organisation for Certified Public Accountants (SOCPA) in Saudi Arabia.
- This was done to promote mutual co-operation framework in the areas of Corporate Governance, Technical Research & Advice, Quality Assurance, Forensic Accounting, issues for Small and Medium Sized Practices (SMPs), Islamic Finance, Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and other subjects of mutual interest related to Accountancy.
- This MoU will enable ICAI to promote the Accounting and Auditing profession and all matters for development and would help in its capacity building.
- ICAI has strong presence at the Eastern Province covering Jeddah, Riyadh and Saudi Arabia, having more than 200 members who have been engaged at different professional level.
- This will additionally help in creating significant employment opportunities for Indian Chartered Accountants.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) is a statutory body established by an Act of Parliament of India, The Chartered Accountants Act, 1949′, to regulate the profession of Chartered Accountancy in India.
Saudi Certified Public Accountants’ Regulations issued under Royal Decree entrusted the “Saudi Organisation for Certified Public Accountants (SOCPA)” for promotion of the Accountancy and Auditing profession in Saudi Arabia.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and United Kingdom on cooperation in the sphere of Law & Justice and establishing a Joint Consultative Committee
On July 4, 2018, The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom on Law & Justice and to set up a Joint Consultative Committee.
- This would help in exchange of experience by legal professionals, government functionaries and their training and effective legal aid mechanismfor resolution of disputes before various Courts, Tribunals, etc. and proposes establishment of Joint Consultative Committees.