Nigeria’s terror group Boko Haram has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State in a new audio message. In the recording, a man claiming to be Abubakar Shekau, leader of Boko Haram that has killed thousands, vowed to follow Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
Shekau said “We announce our allegiance to the Caliph of the Muslims … and will hear and obey in times of difficulty and prosperity, in hardship and ease, and to endure being discriminated against, and not to dispute about rule with those in power, except in case of evident infidelity regarding that which there is a proof from Allah. We call on Muslims everywhere to pledge allegiance to the caliph“.
- Islamic Terrorist Organization based in North East Nigeria.
- Active since 2002. Strength – 7000 to 10000.
- The name “Boko Haram” is translated as “Western education is forbidden“.
- The Group killed more than 5,000 civilians in the last 5 years.
- Boko Haram was involved in 2013 & 2015 Baga Massacre, kidnapping of 276 school girls, and many bomb blasts & attacks in Cameroon and Chad.