Assam Finance Minister Ajanta Neog (1st Woman Finance Minister of Assam) presented an INR 566.20 Crore Deficit State Budget for the FY 2021-22.
- The new budget did not propose any Tax on the Public.
- During the FY 2020-21, the Tax Department’s collection declined to INR 14, 645 crores from INR 14,967 crore due to COVID-19.
- Total Expenditure for the FY (estimate) – INR 2,89,367.10 crore
- Aggregate income of the Government – INR 2,89,770.68 crore
- Assam’s Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) in 2015-16 at variable prices was INR 227,959 crore, which increased to INR 351,318 crore during 2019-20. The percentage growth during the period was 11.22 percent.
i.An amount of INR 1 lakh will be provided to the next of kin of COVID-19 victims.
ii.1000 sub centres will be converted into hospitals to boost the health infrastructure.
iii.In order to minimize the learning loss and bridge the digital divide, smartphones will be distributed to 8 lakh class IX and X students in the Government sector.
iv.1000 Model Anganwadi Centres with Child Care Facility to be set up in the state.
v.The budget also proposes to constitute an Agriculture Commission under a scientist of International repute to focus on issues related to Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, dairy sector in Assam.
As part of the Orunodoi scheme, the Government has announced an increase of monthly financial benefit provided to women from INR 830 to INR 1,000.
- The number of beneficiary households under the scheme will be increased by another 636,000 (at present it covers 2 million households).
Announcement of New District & New Department
i.The formation of a new district at Tamulpur was also announced during the budget.
ii.The formation of the Department of Indigenous Faith & Culture was announced in the Budget. INR 100 crore has been earmarked for the department.
- It will seek to preserve and propagate the unique languages, cultures, religious customs and rituals, attire, food habits, folk beliefs and traditions of indigenous communities and ethnic groups.
Chief Minister – Himanta Biswa Sarma
Capital – Dispur
Governor – Professor Jagdish Mukhi