After the first-ever in-depth analysis of child grooms, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) study revealed that an estimated 115 million boys and men around the world were married as children. Of which 1 in 5 children (23 million) were married off before the age of 15.
- The data was collected from 82 countries on the basis of national estimates in the UNICEF global databases.
- The study revealed that child marriage among boyes was prevalent across countries like the sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, South Asia, and East Asia and the Pacific.
- The Central African Republic had the highest number of child marriage among males which accounted for 28%, followed by Nicaragua with 19% and Madagascar with 13%
- The total number of child brides and child grooms were 765 million.
- Among Girls, 1 in 5 young women aged 20 to 24 years old married before their 18th birthday, compared to 1 in 30 young men.
- In India, the incidence of underage marriage in girls has been reduced. 14.1% girls in 15-18 age group living in rural areas were married. New data from the Global Childhood Report 2019 revealed that there has been a 51% reduction in child brides in India over the past 19 years. No research on the incidence of child grooms existed as of now.
♦ Headquarters: New York, US
♦ Executive Director: Henrietta Holsman Fore
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification