United Nations [UN] and International Labour Organisations [ILO] promote World Day for Safety and Health at Work on April 28th each year.
Theme 2015: “Join in building a culture of prevention on Occupational Safety and Health” and these organisations will assemble on that particular day.United Nations posts this event in its events calender every year.
- Leaders from different communities and representatives promote the day.
- Topics such as workplace health, safety are spoken.
- Various media promotes the day through news and broadcast programs.
- This day is observance day and not a holiday.
- From April 28th 2003 itself ILO is observing the day as World Day for Safety and health at work.
- To obtain decent and productive work in conditions of freedom, security, human dignity etc.
- The day is to promote rights at work,encourage employment, increase social protection etc.
- Occupational safety and health [OSH] is very important for moral, legal and financial reasons.
- As per UN agency,each year over 313 million workers suffer nonfatal occupational injuries that refers to 8,60,000 people getting injured on daily basis.
- Every day around 6400 people lose their lives from occupational accident or diseases.
- ILO Director-general Mr Guy Ryder spoke about the fact that the economic recession or pressure to maxmise profits cannot justify cutting corners at workplace.
INFORMATION ABOUT ILO
- Its an United Nations agency dealing with labour problems mostly International labour standards,protection etc.
- ILO came into existance from 1919.
- Its headquarters is in Geneva Switzerland.
- 185 out of total 193 UN member states are its members.
This organisation got Nobel Prize in 1969 for improving peace among classes.