On 19th may 2015 in Kolkata, Indian Navy’s anti-submarine warefare ship INS Kavaratti was launched. Kavaratti was last of the four anti-submarine warefare class stealth corvettes built for India under project 28.On this occasion, Minister of State For DefenceRao Inderjit singh praised the contributions made by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers GRSE, in meeting the growing demands of the navy.
- Chief of Naval staff Admiral RK Dhowan also praised the work done by the yard for contributing towards achieving the Indian Navy’s dream of transforming from ”Buyers Navy” to ”Builders Navy”.
- INS Kavaratti weighs 3300- tonne with length of 109.1mts and measures 13.7mts at beam.
- It has an endurance of more than 3000 nautical miles and is propelled by 4 diesel engines with capacity of reaching speeds of 25 knots.
- Being 90% indigenous,shows about the capacity of domestic manufacturing of Indian Navy.
- It has a x shaped hull,full beam super structure,inclined shipsides and Infra-Red Signature Suppresssion that increases stealth feature of the ship.
- TACS or Total Atmosphere Control System in it makes it capable of fighting nuclear,chemical and biological warefare situations.
- The ships are also equipped to carry and operate one multi role helicopter.
- Kavaratti will be packed with state of art weapons and sensors like Medium Range Guns,Torpedo Tube Launchers,Rocket launchers,close-in weapon system and chaff system.
Project 28- what is it ??
Under this project four anti-submarine warefare class stealth corvettes were to be build.apart from kavaratti others are INS Kamrotta,Kadmatt and Kiltan.
INS Kamrotta– was delivered and commissioned in the Indian navy in 2014.
INS Kadmatt and Kiltan– are expected to be delivered between 2015 and 2017..
Indian Navy- some facts and figures
- It is the naval branch of the armed forces of India.
- Its headquarters is in New Delhi.
- President of India is Commander-in-Chief of the Navy.
- CNS or Chief of Naval Staff commands the navy.
- Current CNS is Admiral RK.Dhowan.
- Current VCNS is Vice Admiral Murugesan.