2017 BRICS Youth Forum opened in Beijing, China on July 25, 2017, to discuss youth development in the BRICS member-nations viz. Brazil Russia, India, China and South Africa.
More Information about 2017 BRICS Youth Forum:
The three-day forum gathered 50 youth representatives working as civil servants, scholars, entrepreneurs, artists and journalists from BRICS countries.
- Theme of 2017 BRICS Youth Forum is “Enhance BRICS Partnership, Promote Youth Development”.
- Representatives will hold discussions on issues concerning youth policies and entrepreneurship, as well as the roles of BRICS youth in global governance, before formulating an action plan for the forum.
About BRICS Youth Forum:
- Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa first came up with the idea of establishing a dialogue mechanism for BRICS youth in 2014 during a meeting between BRICS leaders in South Africa.
- In the past three years, the forum has had success in various fields, such as youth policies and employment through dialogue.
Quick Facts about BRICS:
Acronym BRICS, refers to five major emerging economies viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- Originally as per term ‘BRIC’ coined in 2001 by then-chairman ofGoldman Sachs Asset Management, Jim O’Neill, South Africa was not a part of this grouping. It joined in 2010 and thereafter these countries have been collectively referred to as BRICS nations.
- BRICS nations represent about 40% of world’s population and account for nearly 22% of gross world product.