The 2015 South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) championship has been clinched by India for the record seventh time. The 2015 SAFF Championship was the 11th edition of men’s football championship of South Asia organized by SAFF.
- It was held in India from 23 December 2015 to 3 January 2016.
- Participated teams – India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka
- Title Sponsor – Suzuki
- Indian Team Captain – Sunil Chhetri
- Afghanistan Team Captain – Faysal Shayesteh
India defeated defending champion Afghanistan by 2-1 goal score in the final match played at Thiruvanantapuram (Kerala). Jeje Lalpekhlua and Sunil Chhetri had scored goals for India. For Afghanistan single goal was scored by Zubayr Amiri at 70th minute.
- Earlier India had won the SAFF Football Championship in year 1993, 1997, 1999, 2005, 2009 and 2011.
About SAFF Championship
The SAFF Championship also called South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Cup is the biennial football competition of the men’s national football teams of 8 countries in South Asia region.
- It was established in 1993.
- It was first hosted by Pakistan.
- The 2017 edition will be hosted by Bangladesh.