Jordan has kicked off a two-week military exercise with some 10,000 participants from 18 countries, many members of a U.S.-led military coalition against the Islamic State group, which controls much of neighbouring Iraq and Syria.
- The Eager Lion military drill, which has been carried out in Jordan for five years, now is a global military exercise in which armies of different countries take part.
- Objective of the drill is “to fight all aspects and types of terrorism.”
- It is designed to strengthen military-to-military relationships through a joint, whole-of-government, multinational approach.
- The exercises will focus on challenges such as combating terrorism and border security.
- And other areas of focus are Integrated air and missile defence and humanitarian assistance and disaster relief to address current and future conflicts’ security issues.
- Drill include responses to conventional and unconventional threats.
- Some 10,000 troops are taking part in the two-week “Eager Lion” exercise.
- The exercise will be held among five sites across Jordan.
- Eager Lion includes field training, multiple live-fire exercises, reconnaissance training, and Harrier, Cobra and Osprey aircraft.
Mock Drill Scenarios :
- Based on the scenario of a friendly force coming to the aid of an ally under threat by an aggressive neighbour.
- In a live-fire drill on retaking a border, a B-52 bomber of US attacked mock targets.
Head of the Joint Training : Jordan’s Brig. Gen. Fahad al-Damen.
Other Significant Developments :
- Jordan has intensified its air raids against IS since the jihadists burned alive one of its pilots who crashed in Syria earlier this year, but there are fears its participation in US-led strikes could drag the kingdom into nearby conflicts.
- The Islamist state extremist group has captured large areas of Syria and Iraq, and seized the Iraqi city of Ramadi over the weekend.
Countries taking part in the Millitary drill :
- Saudi Arabia
- United Kingdom
- Many are from countries that have joined a U.S.-led military coalition against Islamic State extremists.
- Last year,Total of 24 countries took part in the Military drill.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification