28th January 2016 is celebrated as the 150th birth anniversary of the greatest Indian freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai. He was born in Dhudike, Punjab on 28 January 1865.
About Lala Lajpat Rai
- He is popularly known asPunjab Kesari and he is described as “a pillar of extremist nationalism in India“ due to his great contribution in the freedom moment.
- Lala was the chief leader in the Indian Independence movement.
- Lajpat was elected as the President of the Congress party in the Calcutta Special Session of 1920 and Rai was the head of the “Lakshmi Insurance Company,”
- He was the part of Lal Bal Pal trio Lala Lajpat Rai, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, and Bipin Chandra Pal from 1905 to 1918 they are assertive nationalists.
- He was also coupled with the establishment of Punjab National Bank in 1895 and presently Lakshmi Insurance Company.
- His death anniversary 17 November is celebrated as one of Martyrs’ Day in India
- He was a supporter of Arya Samaj and was editor of Arya Gazette,
- He founded Servants of the People Society, a non-profit welfare organisation, in Lahore
Books written by Lala Lajpat Rai
- The Story of My Deportation(1908)
- Arya Samaj(1915)
- The United States of America: A Hindu’s Impression(1916)
- Young India(1916)
- Unhappy India(1928)
- England’s Debt to India(1917)
- Autobiographical Writings
Buildings and Places build in the memory
Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences in Hisar, Haryana, Lala Lajpat Rai Institute of Engineering and Technology Moga , Lajpat Nagar and Lajpat Nagar Central Market in New Delhi, statue of Lajpat Rai stands at the central square in Shimla, India, Lajpat Rai Market in Chandani Chowk, Delhi, Lala Lajpat Rai Hall of Residence at Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) in Kanpur and Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital, Kanpur all are build in the memory of the great freedom fighter.