From 18th to 20th August 2018, the 11th World Hindi Conference (WHC) was held at Swami Vivekanand International Convention Centre in Port Louis, Mauritius.
i. It 11th World Hindi Conference (WHC) was organized by the Ministry of External Affairs, India in collaboration with the Government of Mauritius.
ii. It was inaugurated by Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Kumar Jugnauth. Over 2,000 delegates participated in the conference.
iii. Main theme of the Conference was “Hindi Vishwa Aur Bharatiy Sanskriti” (Hindi World and Indian Culture).
iv. The first World Hindi Conference was held in 1975 in Nagpur.
v.A special logo has been designed for the conference this year which depicts the national birds of India and Mauritius, peacock and dodo respectively.
- Several exhibitions on the development of Hindi language were organised. Cultural programmes and a Kavi Sammelan was organized by the Indian Council of Cultural Relations, New Delhi.
- Sammelan Samachar, a daily news letter and Sammelan Smarika and a Conference Report were published.
- A special issue of “Gagananchal” dedicated to the Conference was released by Indian Council of Cultural Relations.
- Hindi scholars from India and other countries were conferred the “Vishwa Hindi Samman” for their contribution to the Hindi language.
- The website and the Logo of the Conference was launched by Sushma Swaraj, External Affairs Minister (EAM), India and Leela Devi Dookun-Luchoomun, Minister of Education and Human Resources, Tertiary Education and Scientific Research, Republic of Mauritius, on 10th April 2018 in New Delhi.
- This was the first time representatives from all 29 states and Union Territories of Delhi, Chandigarh and Puducherry participated in the conference.
- A report was released on the recommendation made during the 10th conference held in Bhopal in 2015.
- Delegates from 20 countries discussed eight sub topics related to “Hindi World and Indian Culture”.
Tribute to former Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee:
- At the beginning of the conference a two-minute silence was observed to pay tribute to former Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Also, a condolence meeting was held in the memory of Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth announced that Mauritius cyber tower, for which Atal Bihari Vajpayee had contributed, will be named as Atal Bihari Vajpayee tower.
Meetings of External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj with Mauritius leaders:
- Sushma Swaraj met with Prime Minister of Mauritius, Pravind Kumar Jagnauth. They discussed on strengthening special ties between India and Mauritius.
- Sushma Swaraj and Pravind Kumar Jagnauth released a souvenir and two postal stamps on 11th World Hindi Conference.
- Sushma Swaraj also met former Prime Minister of Mauritius, Paul Berenger, leader of opposition of Mauritius Xavier Luc Duval, former Prime Minister of Mauritius Navinchandra Ramgoolam and discussed ties between India and Mauritius.
- On 19th August 2018, Sushma Swaraj inaugurated ‘Panini Language Laboratory’ at Mahatma Gandhi Institute (MGI) in Mauritius. This lab was gifted by Indian government. It will help MGI in teaching Indian languages.
♦ Capital – Port Louis
♦ Currency – Mauritian rupee
♦ President – Barlen Vyapoory
♦ Prime Minister – Pravind Kumar Jugnauth