World Stroke Day is annually observed on October 29 to raise awareness about stroke prevention, treatment and recovery. The day highlights the seriousness of strokes and the need to ensure better care and support for survivors.
The theme of the World Stroke Day 2020 webinar is ‘Get Ready to join the Movement’. The central idea for the World Stroke Day 2020 campaign is Join the Movement with the hashtag ‘1 in 4’.
It means that 1 in 4 adults will have a stroke, but when they are active, the risk of stroke can be reduced.
Points to be Noted
i.Around 70% of the stroke cases are either treatable or preventable.
ii.25% of the population will suffer from a stroke at some point in their lives. Physical activity is one of the best ways to prevent stroke.
Key Facts about Strokes
i.As per WSO, 14.5 million people will have a stroke in 2020, where 5.5 million people will die as a result.
ii.WSO also mentioned that 80 million people have survived strokes globally.
iii.Globally, in every 40 seconds a person suffers from stroke and in every four minutes a person dies of stroke.
Digital screen time is related to Strokes
i.As per a recent US based study, the digital screen time is inversely proportional with the life expectancy.
ii.The life expectancy reduces by upto 22 minutes, for every one hour of digital screen time.
iii.The amount of screen-time also has adverse effects, that includesheart attack, stroke, and cancer.
iv.The screen time of more than 2 hours increases the risk of stroke by 20% for every hour.
- The day was established at the World Stroke Congress in Vancouver in 2004.
- A working group was formed under the direction of Dr. Vladimir Hachinkski, Canadian clinical neuroscientist, which was incorporated into a World Stroke Proclamation in October 2006.
- The World Stroke Organization (WSO) was established in 2006 through the merger of the International Stroke Society and the World Stroke Federation.
- Under the management of the WSO, the first official day was celebrated on October 29, 2006.
- In 2010, WSO declared stroke a public health emergency.WSO in 2010 launched the “1 in 6” campaign to encompass future campaigns.
Gist about Strokes:
Meaning-Stroke is a brain attack that occurs when blood supply to part of the brain is interrupted or reduced, preventing brain tissue from getting oxygen and nutrients.
Symptoms-Paralysis; numbness or weakness in the arm, face, and leg, particularly on one side of the body; Vision Problem and Trouble speaking and understanding what others are saying, among others.
Types of Strokes
3 main types of stroke are:Ischemic stroke, Hemorrhagic stroke, Transient ischemic attack (a warning or mini-stroke).
About World Stroke Organization (WSO):
President– Professor Michael Brainin, Austria
Headquarter – Geneva, Switzerland