World Pharmacists Day(WPD) is annually observed across the globe on 25th September to encourage activities that promote and advocate the role of the pharmacist in every corner of the world.
- The day also marks the foundation day of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP– Fédération Internationale Pharmaceutique), global body for pharmacy, pharmaceutical sciences, and pharmaceutical education.
- The day offers an opportunity for pharmacy to celebrate its achievements in supporting societies, but also to make its value and further potential in improving health known.
25th September 2023 marks the observance of the 13th World Pharmacists Day.
i.The theme of WPD 2023 is “Pharmacy Strengthening Health Systems.”
- Pharmacy is integral to a well-functioning health system, as the COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted.
- The theme of the WPD is annually chosen by the FIP Bureau.
ii.FIP’s message for WPD 2023 is “Let pharmacies do more”.
i.In 2009, during the Council meeting of the FIP Congress in Istanbul, Turkey(Now Türkiye), the Turkish Pharmacists Association (TPA) proposed the annual celebration of World Pharmacists Day on September 25.
ii.The first-ever World Pharmacist Day was observed on 25th September 2010.
iii.In 2020, FIP introduced World Pharmacy Week, expanding the festivities to encompass the entire pharmacy profession and inclusively recognizing all sectors within the field of pharmacy.
Why September 25?
25th September was chosen to mark the date of the establishment of the FIP.
- FIP was established on 25th September 1912 as a not-for-profit federation.
Significance of WPD:
i.World Pharmacists Day highlights the global impact of pharmacists in ensuring the well-being of individuals and communities.
ii.Molecules become medicines when pharmaceutical expertise is added
iii.They have played pivotal roles in vaccine distribution, patient education, and medication management during these challenging times.
iv.They play a significant role in addressing global health challenges, including antimicrobial resistance, chronic disease management, and access to essential medicines in underserved regions.
A pharmacist is a health care professional specializing in the usage and administration of medication.
- They supervise the medicines supply chain and ensure pharmacy premises and systems are fit for purpose.
Recent Related News:
National Doctor’s Day is annually observed across India on 1st July to appreciate and honor the valuable contributions of doctors and healthcare professionals in India. This day also gives an opportunity to thank doctors for their selfless service and efforts for the well-being of the people in India.
About International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP):
President(Acting)- Paul Sinclair (Australia)
Headquarters- The Hague, Netherlands