Every year April 25th World Malaria Day [WMD] is observed. The day is mainly for the control and spreading of Malaria. The theme of this WMD- 2015 is ”invest in future and defeat malaria”. It also corresponds to continued investment and sustained political commitment for the control of malaria.
WHO, the World Health Organisation,has asked the global health community for urgent action in treatment diagnosis and prevention of malaria. World Malaria Day was established and approved at the 60th World Health Assembly in March 2007.
- According to WHO,malaria kills 6,27,000 people every year.
- In 2013, 97 countries had ongoing malaria transmission.
- In india over the last 5years over 60 lakh cases were reported and 4000 deaths caused by malaria.
- To decrease the deaths arising from malaria to 90% is the current global strategy.
- For countries in the malaria affected regions to learn from each others experiences.
- Its opportunity for new donors to join global partnership against malaria.
DETAILS ABOUT WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION OR WHO
- WHO was formed in 7th April 1948.
- Its headquarters is situated in Geneva,Switzerland.
- The current head is Margaret Chan.
- The 2014/15 total budget of WHO is $4billion US dollars. About US$930million would be provided by member states with further $3billion dollars from voluntary contributions
- The regional offices for WHO are in Africa, Europe,South-East Asia, Eastern Mediterranean, Western Pacific,Americas .
- Malaria is an infectious disease caused by female anopheles mosquito.
- The symptoms include High fever,Shivering, Fatigue,Sweating, Headaches, Nausea etc.
- Drugs available for malaria treatment includes chloroquin,quinine,hydroxy chloroquine etc.
- In 1990 it was estimated that out of 843.7 million people in India 75,240,500 people are at high,moderate,low risk respectively of getting malaria.