Vice-President Hamid Ansari boarded on a five-day visit to Morocco and Tunisia to build on diplomatic gains from the India-Africa Summit and place platform for a future partnership.
Maiden visit by an Indian Vice-President in 50 years to the two nations
Hosted by: Prime Minister Abdelilah Benkairane, Morocco
Focus: To discuss the issues of terrorism, UN Security Council expansion, investments in private sector and to strengthen Africa and regional matters.
Memorandum of Understanding:
MoUs are signed between the delegates in the fields like education, IT and communication technology sectors, focusing on capacity building and cultural exchange.
Points delivered by Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs, Amar Sinha:
- Will set up diplomatic profit from the India Africa Summit
- First high-level visit to the African country after Prime Minister AtalBihari Vajpayee went there in 1999
- Series of visits by Indian leaders to Africa in future
Relationship between two countries with India:
- The two countries are important for India as it shares economic relations with them and the visit will help in building relationship between these two countries and India.
- Both the countries are placed to visit as they are key partners in food security and fertilisers and investments in private sector.
India, Morocco launched Chamber of Commerce to boost trade:
India and Morocco launched the India-Morocco Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IMCCI) to accelerate the pace of economic development between the two countries
Delegates: Vice President Hamid Ansari and Moroccan Prime Minister AbdelilahBenkirane
- Vice President explained the need of IMCCI to the growing importance of commercial engagement between two nations
- Focusing will be on the requirements of both sides
- Morocco emerged as destination for investments by Indian firms adding that Indian companies have invested $320 million in Morocco, including in the project, the Indo-MarocPhosphore SA joint venture.
- The last two decades of economic growth have strengthened India’s private sector and to expand its global operations
Ansari visited the Mohammed VI Imam Training Centre:
- Promotes the values of moderate Islam and is actively working on ideologies and beliefs
- The Centre trains a large number of preachers from the Arab world besides Africa, including women
India and Morocco concluded five MoUs to enhance cooperation in various fields
India and Morocco concluded five Memorandums of Understanding(MoUs) covering fields
i. Water resources
ii. Television broadcasting
iii. Institutional cooperation
iv. Cultural &Educational exchange
v. Trading partnership
The trading partnership between the two countries:
- In 2014, trade between the two countries mounted at $1.36 billion
- Exports to Morocco amounting to $500.5 million
- Imports were valued at $855.8 million
- Discussed wide range of Global and regional developments of mutual Interest.
- Appreciated Morocco’s support for India’s application to the United Nations Security Council.
India and Tunisia signed MoUs for co-operation in IT, handicrafts sector
India and Tunisia have signed to enhance cooperation in combating terrorism, promotion of Handicrafts and Information Technology
Delegates: Vice President Hamid Ansari and Tunisian Prime Minister HabibEssid
- Range of issues of mutual and regional interests
- Issue of dispersal of extremism and terrorism which are threats for both countries