Renowned Hindi litterateur and playwright Surendra Verma has been selected for 2016 Vyas Samman for his novel Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha Padma Pankhuri Ki Dhar Se. This novel was published in the year 2010.
- Mr Verma would be presented a cash prize of Rs. 3.50 lakh a citation and a logo for the prestigious award instituted by K K Birla Foundation.
- Surendra Verma will be the 26th recipient of the honor.
About Surendra Verma
Surendra Verma was born on September 7, 1941 in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh. He is an M.A in linguistics.
- He started his career as a teacher and soon started writing stories. His first play was Surya ki antim kiran sesurya kipahli kiran tak (From the Sun’s Last Ray to the Sun’s First Ray).
- This play was premiered in Marathi by Amol Palekar in 1972.
- He had been associated with the National School of Drama for long and has published about fifteen titles of short stories, novels, satires and play.
Plays and Novels
Some of his well known plays and novels include:
- Do Murdon Ke Liye Guldasta (2000)
- Mujhe Chand Chahiye (1993)
- Katna Shami Ka Vriksha Padmapankhuri Ki Dhar Se (2010)
- Surya Ki Antim Kiran Se Surya Ki Pahli Kiran Tak (From Sunset to Sunrise, 1972)
- Athwan sarg (Eighth Chapter) (1976)
- Chhote Saiyad bade Saiyad (Junior Saiyad and Senior Saiyad) (1978)
- Qaid-e-hayat (Imprisonment of Life) (1983)
- Rati Ka Kangan (2011)
- Shakuntala ki Anguthi
His play Surya Ki Antim Kiran Se Surya Ki Pahli Kiran Tak (From Sunset to Sunrise) has been translated into six Indian languages.
Awards and Recogintions
- 1992: Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Playwright in Hindi
- 1996: Sahitya Akademi Award for his novel Mujhe Chand Chahiye (I want the moon)
About Vyas Samman
Vyas Samman was instituted in 1991 by the KK Birla Foundation. The prestigious award carries a cash award of Rs 3.50 lakh, a citation and a logo.
- It is awarded annually in recognition of the Hindi literary work in genres like novels, plays, short stories, poetry, critiques and others.
- To be eligible for the award, the Hindi language literary work must have been published in the past 10 years.
- The last receipient of Vyas Samman in 2015 was Sunita Jain who was awarded for poetry collection “Kshama”.