From various institutions : Raman Research Institute (RRI) and the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS)
Situated in : Bengaluru
Awarded Purpose : For the detection of Gravitational waves
It is an expansion of Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory. It is announced the discovery of Gravitational Waves ,earlier this year. It is considered to be the Prestigious prize. This project highlighted for the humongous Indian participation.
Areas : This award given for the everlasting performance in basic science and mathematics
The Foundation said that the $3 million award will be equally distributed by LIGO founders Ronald WP Drever, Kip S Thorne and Rainer Weiss along with 1012 contibutors.
Other centres from Indian researchers contributed towards this project:
- TIFR-Mumbai, IUCAA, Pune, IISER Kolkata, IISER Trivandrum, IIT Gandhinagar
- The ICTS team, led by P Ajith, consists of Abhirup Ghosh, Archisman Ghosh, Arunava Mukherjee, Chandrakant Mishra, Nathan Johnson-McDaniel and Bala Iyer.
- To establish the consistency of the observed signal with that coming from a binary black hole system predicted by Einstein’s theory.
- To estimates of the mass and the spin angular momentum of the final black hole, as well as the energy and power release from this astrophysical event .
- To conduct handful of tests on LIGO scientific Collaboration.
Some of the data analysis computations were performed at the LIGO Tier-3 grid computing facility at ICTS.