An international physicists association had detected gravitational waves for the first time in the world. The association includes physicists from many Indian institutions.
- This was a massive achievement as we know that the gravitational waves are very hard to detect.About 3 billion years ago the signals about the waves were generated by two colliding black holes.
- These waves will help the scientist to study the universe in every possible way with clear results.
- After detecting the waves Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced through his tweet that India is going to build a gravitational wave detector that will form part of the Ligo network.
- The project to build a gravitational wave detector will cost nearly Rs 1,000-crore as estimated.
- These waves enabled the scientists to decode the nature of the gravitational waves accurately.
- This is the first time when physicists have seen two merging binary black holes.
- This is the first confirmation about the binary black holes exist.
- The proof of gravitational waves was confirmed by the two stars that are hitting each other at half the speed of light and each of them was thirty times the size of the sun.
About Ligo observatory
- The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) is a large-scale physics experiment to detect gravitational waves.
- It was Co founded in 1992 by Kip Thorne and Ronald Drever of Caltech and Rainer Weiss of MIT.
- LIGO Scientific Collaboration includes more than 900 scientists worldwide.
- LIGO is funded by theNational Science Foundation (NSF).