Russia successfully test-fired its new S-500 Air Defence Missile Systems in a Kapustin Yar Training ground, Russia. The missile, considered as the most advanced anti-missile system, successfully hit a high-speed ballistic target.
- S-400 Triumf is a Long-range Surface-to-Air Missile Defence System. It is an interceptor-based missile system which can destroy incoming hostile aircraft, missiles, and drones at ranges of up to 600 kms.
- It is manufactured by Almaz-Antey (Russian State-owned company).
- Post successful completion of tests, the first S-500 system known as ‘Prometheus’ & the Triumfator-M will be sent to an Air Defence unit outside Moscow, Russia.
Several Countries like Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Belarus, India have all acquired/or expressed interest in acquiring S-400.
i.In 2018, India signed a USD 5 billion deal with Russia to buy 5 units of the S-400 air defence missile systems.
- India is set to receive the 1st batch of S-400 System from Russia between October-December, 2021.
- India’s DRDO is developing its own Indigenous ‘Akash’ Air Defence Missile System.
Recent Related News:
Israel Missile Defense Organisation & United States Missile Defense Agency have commenced work on the development of ‘Arrow-4’ anti-ballistic missiles which will be part of Israel’s multi-layered Ballistic Missile Shield
President – Vladimir Putin
Capital – Moscow
Currency – Russian Rouble