Union Minister for Education Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ released the report on United District Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+) 2019-20 for School Education in India. It is the official statistics system of the Ministry of Education (MoE).
Key Points from the Report
- Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) has improved at all levels of school education in 2019-20 compared to 2018-19. Pupil Teacher Ratio (PTR) has also increased at all levels of school education.
- Enrolment of girls from primary to higher secondary is more than 12.08 crore, an increase of 14.08 lakh compared to 2018-19.
- The Gender Parity Index (GPI) at both Secondary and Higher Secondary levels have improved.
- Total Students in school education from pre-primary to higher secondary has crossed 26.45 crore in 2019-20, which is an increase of 42.3 lakh compared to 2018-19.
- Approximately only 39% of schools in India had computers, while approximately only 22% had an internet connection in 2019-20.
UDISE+ is a system of online data collection from schools which was developed in the year 2018-19. The real-time data is collected by the Department of School Education & Literacy, MoE.
- UDISE+ is an updated and improved version of UDISE which was initiated in 2012-13 integrating DISE for elementary and secondary education.
- It is one of the largest Management Information Systems on School Education covering more than 1.5 million schools, more than 9.6 million teachers and more than 264 million children.
- The 2019-20 relates to UDISE+ data for the reference year 2019-20.
Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER)
GER – Total enrolment in a specific level of education, regardless of age, expressed as a percentage of the population in the official age group corresponding to this level of education.
|Higher Secondary Level||51.4%||50.1%|
i.GER improved by 10% in the Secondary level between 2012-13 and 2019-20.
- At Higher Secondary level, GER has improved by more than 11% between 2012-13 and 2019-20.
- GER for Higher Secondary level reached 51.5% in 2019-20, compared to 40.1% in 2012-13.
Pupil Teacher Ratio (PTR)
PTR is the average number of pupils per teacher at a given level of education, based on headcounts of both pupils and teachers. In 2019-20, 96.87 lakh teachers were engaged in school education, which is higher by about 2.57 lakh compared to 2018-19
|Higher Secondary Level||26.1||39.2|
Gross Enrolment Ratio of Girls
The GER of girls at higher secondary level stood at 52.4% in 2019-20 compared to 39.4% in 2012-13. The increase is higher than that of the boys.
- GER of boys for Higher Secondary is 50.5% in 2019-20, it was 40.8% in 2012-13.
- GER of girls at Secondary Level stood at 77.8% (9.6% increase compared to 2012-13), while GER of girls at Upper primary Level stood at 5%.
|Higher Secondary Level||52.4%||50.8%|
Gender Parity Index (GPI)
GPI at both Secondary and Higher Secondary levels have improved. GPI has increased the most at the higher secondary level, which has increased by 1.04 in 2019-20 from 0.97 in 2012-13.
- More than 80% schools in India in 2019-20 had functional electricity (an increase of 6% compared to 2018-19).
- More than 90% schools in India had handwash facility in 2019-20 (compared to 36.3% in 2012-13).
- 84% of schools had a library/reading room/reading corner in 2019-20, an increase of 4% compared to 2018-19.
Recent Related News:
June 11, 2021, Union Minister for Education Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ released the report of All India Survey on Higher Education 2019-20 (AISHE 2019-20).
About Ministry of Education (MoE)
Union Minister – Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ (Haridwar, Uttarakhand)
Minister of State – Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre (Akola, Maharashtra)