Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Quantitative Aptitude Section in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Time and Distance with Explanation, which is common for all the IBPS,SBI,SSC and other competitive exams. We have included Some questions that are repeatedly asked in bank exams !!!
Questions Penned by Yogit
- A car after travelling 100 km from point A meets with an accident and then proceeds at 3/4 of its original speed and arrives at the point B 90 minutes late. If the car meets the accident 60 km further on, it would have reached 15 minutes sooner. Find the original speed of the train?
e) None of theseAnswer –b) 80km/hr
let distance between A and B be D km and real speed of the car be S km/hr
First time car takes 90 minutes more and second time car takes 75 minutes more than scheduled time.
So, T1 – T2 = 15/60 = 100
15/60 = [100/s + (D -100)/(3s/4)] – [160/s + (D – 160)/(3s/4)]
Solve this D will be cancelled and S comes out to be 80km/hr
- A boy goes to school from his home at a speed of 4 km/hr and returns at a speed of 6 km/hr. If in total he took 5 hours in going and coming back, the distance between his house and school?
e) None of theseAnswer –c) 12km
5 = d/4 + d/6 (d is the distance between school and home)
- A police officer is 110 meter behind a thief. The officer runs 21 meters and thief runs 14 meters in a minute. In what time the officer will catch the thief ?
a) 15.3/7 minutes
b) 15.5/7 minutes
c) 15.1/7 minutes
d) 16.3/7 minutes
e) None of theseAnswer –b) 15.5/7 minutes
let the thief covers x more distance before get caught, so officer have to cover 110+x in the same time in which thief covers x distance ,
x/14 = (110 +x)/21, x = 220 so time = 330/21 = 110/7 = 15.5/7 minutes
- Two trains P and Q are separated by 220 km on a straight line. One train starts at 8 am from one station A towards B at 40 km/hr and another train starts from B towards A at 9 am at 60 km/hr. At what time will both train will meet?
a) 10:00 am
b) 10:30 am
c) 10:48 am
d) 11:00 am
e) None of theseAnswer –c) 10:48 am
In one hour first train will cover 40 km, so distance between them remains only 180. Now
x/40 = (180 –x)/60, we get x = 72, so time = 72/40 = 1 hour 48 minutes
so both will meet at 10:48 am
- Two girls begin together to write out a book containing 900 lines. The first girl starts with the first line, writing at a speed of 150 lines per hour and the second girl starts writing from the last line at the rate of 200 lines per hour. At which line will they meet?
a) 384th line
b) 386th line
c) 389th line
d) 400th line
e) None of theseAnswer –b) 386th line
Solve this question as analogous to distance method,
At some x page they will meet, so
x/150 = (900 – x)/200, we get x = 385.7 = 386th line (approx.)
- Two women start walking towards each other at same time from two points separated by 84 km. First women walks at 5km/hr and second walks at 2 km/hr in the first hour, 2.5 km/hr in second hour, 3 km/hr in third hour and so on. Find the approximate time after which both women will meet?
e) None of theseAnswer –b) 9hr
Let after T time both women meet each other, so distance travelled by first women is 5T and second women forms an AP, so
distance = (T/2)*[4 + (T -1)1/2]
so, 5T + (T/2)*[4 + (T -1)1/2] = 84, solve for T, u will get T = 9 hrs
take √2073 = 45 (approx.)
- Two places are A and B are 200 kms from each other. A train leaves from A for B at the same time another train leaves B for A. The two trains meet at the end of 8 hours. If the train travelling from A to B travels 10km/hr faster than the other. Find the speed of the faster train?
a) 15 km/hr
b) 16 km/hr
c) 17.5 km/hr
d) 18 km/hr
e) None of theseAnswer –c) 17.5 km/hr
speed of trains = s + 10 and s km/hr. At some P distance from A both train will meet. So,
8 = P/(s +10) = (200 – P)/s
Solve both equation, we get s = 7.5 so faster train speed 17.5 km/hr
- Two bullets are fired at an interval of 15 minutes but a car approaching the place of firing hears the second bullet after 14 minutes. Speed of sound is 330 meters per second. Find the speed of the car?
e) None of theseAnswer –c) 85km/hr
distance travels by sound in one minute is equal to the distance travels by car in 14 minutes i.e. 60*330 = s*14*60
s = (330/14)*(18/5) = 85km/hr (approx.)
- A truck driving on a highway passed a man walking at the rate of 12km/hr in the same direction. He could see the truck for 2 minutes and up to 500 meters. Find the speed of the truck?
e) None of theseAnswer – a) 27km/hr
500 = (s – 12*5/18)*2*60
s = 27km/hr
- Excluding stoppages the speed of bus is 60 km/hr and including stoppages it average speed becomes 48km/hr. For how much time the bus stops.
a) 10 min
b) 12 min
c) 14 min
d) 16 min
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 12 min
Due to stoppages bus covers 12 km less. To cover 12km with 60km/hr speed it takes 12min
Note: Dear Readers if you have any doubt in any chapter in Quants you can ask here. We will clear your doubts
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification