PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018, officially known as the XXIII Olympic Winter Games was held in Pyeongchang, South Korea from 9th – 23rd February, 2018.
- In this edition of Winter Olympics, competitions were held for 102 events across fifteen sports.
- More than 2900 athletes from 92 countries took part in PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018.
- Motto of PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018 was “Passion.Connected”.
- Soohorang, a white tiger, and Bandabi, an Asiatic black bear were the official mascots for this event.
Norway topped the medal tally
Norway topped the medal tally at PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018 by winning 14 Gold, 14 Silver and 11 Bronze.
- By winning 39 medals, Norway surpassed USA’s record of most medals won at a single Winter Olympics. USA won 37 medals at Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010.
- Norwegian contingent to this event had 109 athletes.
Sweden’s Charlotte Kalla wins first Olympic gold medal as Dutch sweep speed skating
First Gold Medal at PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018 was won by Sweden’s Charlotte Kalla.
- Charlotte Kalla won the Gold for 15-kilometer cross-country skiing.
- All medals in the ladies’ 3000m speed skating were won by Dutch team (Netherlands). Carlijn Achtereekte (Netherlands) won the Gold by beating defending champion Ireen Wüst (Netherlands), while Antoinette de Jong (Netherlands) took bronze.
Korean ‘Iron Man’ Kim wins historic Olympic skeleton gold
On February 16, 2018, South Korea’s Yun Sung-bin made history by winning Gold in Skeleton racing and thereby becoming Asia’s first Olympic skeleton champion.
- In Skeleton racing, athletes throw themselves down (on bellies, head-first) a steep and treacherous ice track on a tiny sled.
- Yun Sung-bin’s accomplishment holds lot of significance as this sport was so far dominated by athletes from United States, Austria, Canada, Germany and Switzerland.
Norway’s Bjorgen becomes most successful Winter Olympian
Norwegian female cross-country skier, Marit Bjorgen won a medal in all five of the events she has competed in PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018.
- She won gold in the women’s 4x5km relay, silver in the 15km skiathlon and two bronze medals in the 10km freestyle and the team sprint free.
- Including the above stated medals, Bjorgen’s career Olympic medal haul stands at 15, making her the most decorated Winter Olympian of all time.
- Bjorgen had a 16-year career, spanning four Winter Olympic Games.
US wins Ice Hockey Gold at Winter Olympics 2018
US women’s Ice hockey team won Gold at Winter Olympics 2018 by defeating Canada in the finals.
- This was US Women’s Ice Hockey team’s first gold medal in 20 years.
- Interestingly, this was the third consecutive Olympics in which the American and Canadian women teams faced each other in the finals.
PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018 Medal Table – Top 5 Countries: