On the occasion of National Sports Day(August 29,2019) The Chief Minister(CM) of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik conferred the Biju Patnaik Awards for Sports, Bravery and State Award for Social Service for the year 2018 to the players of the state at Jaydev Bhavan in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. In total 9 awards were given out.Key points:
i. The prestigious awards were conferred in 4 categories. It includes ,
- Outstanding performance in Sports,
- Best Contribution to the promotion of Sports and Games,
- Biju Patnaik Bravery Award
- State Award for Social Service
ii. The award winners are as follows,
|1||Biju Patnaik Sports Award for Excellence in Sports||Pramod Bhagat (para shuttler)|
|2||Biju Patnaik Award for Promotion of Sports and Games||Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), Bhubaneswar,Odisha|
|3||Biju Patnaik Bravery Award||Shrimati Badra (a school student of Angul district who risked her life and saved her fellow classmate from a fatal train accident).|
|4||State Award for Social Service||Radhakant Tripathi (Bhadrak district)
Badri Mishra (Puri district)
Mahendra Kumar Joshi(Nuapada district)
Kamakhya Prasad Majhi, (Koraput district)
Ram Narayan Dash (Bolangir district)
Abdul Rahman Khan, (Keonjhar district).
iii. In addition to this, 138 sportspersons were felicitated with cash awards for excellence in sports for the year 2018.
- professional sprinter Dutee Chand (Jajpur district of Odisha) was also rewarded Rs 6.67 lakh for winning a gold medal in women100-metre event in the 30th World University Games held in Naples, Italy.
- Bhagat was felicitated with the award with a cash prize amounting Rs 2 lakh. He also received cash of Rs 30.95 lakh as reward for winning gold medal in 2019 BWF(Badminton World Federation) World Para-Badminton Championship (singles and double) held in Basel, Switzerland, gold medal (singles and doubles) and bronze in the mixed double event in 3rd National Para-Badminton Championship 2019 held in Uttarakhand.
- Little girl Srimati Bhadra from Ghantapada in Angul district also received Rs 1-lakh cash prize.
- The six personalities received the Biju Patnaik State Award for social service got Rs 25,000 in cash prize each.
Governor: Ganeshi Lal
National Parks: Bhitarkanika National Park ,Simlipal National Park.