National Panchayati Raj day is being observed on April 24th every year across whole of India. The day marks the passing of Constitution[73rd Amendment]Act 1992 , that came into force from 24th of April 1993. Decentralization of political power to grassroots level has been achieved by this amendment.This in turn has led to the institutionalization of Panchayati Raj through intermediate and District level panchayats,village.
- On this particular day, National Conference was organised by Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj to recognise National Panchayati Raj Diwas.
- On this day,Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj honours best performing Gram Panchayats with Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Purskar.
- Prime minister, Mr Narendra Modi participated in the conference and urged Panchayat members to work with a 5 year vision with good development plans needed to bring changes in their villages.
- Mr. Modi praised the contribution of women in functioning Panchayats.
- Mr Narendra Modi, strongly recommended the Panchayat members to feel proud about the village and he even talked about celebrating birthday of a village.
- The Panchayat members must motivate all the government officials in their village to spend atleast 1 hour a week with the school children of the village.
- He gave Annual Devolution Index state awards,E-panchayat awards and congratulated Zila Parishads and Gram Panchayats.
Union minister of Panchayati Raj, Mr Chaudhary Birender Singh said that the country is fortunate enough to have Panchayati Raj structure for good governance but village Panchayats dont have technical infrastructure. He also told that the seats for the Panchayat representatives reserved for women, SC and ST must be for 2terms [10years] instead of current term of 5 years.
ABOUT PANCHAYATI RAJ
- Its a political system found mainly in India,PakistanNepal and Bangladesh.
- It is the oldest system of local government in India.
- The word Panchayat refers to assembly[ayat] of 5[panch]wise and respected elders chosen by the locals.
- The 3 tier system of Panchayati Raj has Village,Block and District level Panchayats in it .