Hockey India President Narinder Batra was elected as the president of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) in Dubai on November 12, 2016.He 59 year old, defeated David Brinie of Ireland and Ken Read of Australia in a three-man race.
- In the secret ballot, 68 votes went to Batra , 30 votes to Ken Read of Australia earning and 29 votes to David Balbirnie of Ireland. Outgoing President of FIH, Leandro Negre, announced the result of the poll.
- The voting was conducted via secret ballot through an electronic voting system. Each delegation head of a National Association was provided with a tablet and a unique password by which they voted for their choice.
About Narinder Batra :
Batra, won majority support from Asian, African and Central American nations during the voting process. He is the first Indian to be elected as chief of an Olympic Sport’s international governing body.
- Batra’s four-year tenure begins immediately, which means he will have to give up Hockey India President’s post with immediate effect.
- With the winning of Narinder Batra’s the power centre of the sport will now move to Asia from Europe, which had been ruling international hockey for decades.
- As President, Batra will be responsible for leading the sport by framing the next phase of the FIH’s 10-year Hockey Revolution strategy. He will also have the task to deliver the new Event Portfolio which will begin in 2019.
- Batra will work in cooperation with outgoing CEO of FIH Kelly Fairweather over the next few weeks before the latter’s departure in early December.
- He will then continue to work with interim CEO David Luckes, FIH Director of Sport, before incoming CEO Jason McCracken officially takes up his new role on February 1, 2017.
About Narinder Batra :
Narinder Batra, became the president of Hockey India in October 2014 after serving as its secretary. He is known to have changed the fortune of Indian hockey by bringing in money to the sport via sponsors.
- Batra also brought international hockey to India and ensured that the country gets to host a major international tournament every year in the last four years.
- According to reports, under Batra’s leadership Hockey India’s income has grown from USD 500,000 to USD 14 million over the last six-year period.
- Before becoming the President, Batra also served as a member of FIH’s executive board for a short period. Batra will succeed Spaniard Leandro Negre, who was the FIH chief since 2008. Negre defeated Netherlands’ veteran hockey administrator Els van Breda Vriesman to become FIH supremo.
International Hockey Federation :
International Hockey Federation (FIH) is the international governing body of field and indoor field hockey.
- Its headquarters are located in Lausanne, Switzerland
- FIH is responsible for conducting field hockey’s major international tournaments primarily The World Cup.