Lok Sabha unanimously passed the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2015 to amend Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, to help e-rickshaw ply in Delhi.
Here are key highlights below:
- Date of passing: 3rd March 2015 by voice note.
- The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2015 introduced by Minister of State for Road Transport.
- This bill seeks to amend the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 and replace the ordinance promulgated in this regard in January.
- The bill defines e-rickshaw and e-carts as special purpose battery powered vehicles with power up to 4000 watts.
- If the bill will passes at Rajya Sabha, it will going to benefit 1 lakh e- rickshaw owners and drivers in the capital. Road transport Minister Nitish Gadkari said while ensuring the livelihood of one lakh e-rickshaw drivers, government will not compromise with the safety.
- The driver of the vehicle will be owner and no one else will get the license.
- An earlier Bill to regularize e-rickshaws was passed by the Lok Sabha in the Winter Session but as it was stuck in the Rajya Sabha, the government issued the ordinance. The earlier bill was withdrawn.
- The new rules provide that e-rickshaw will be allowed to carry four passengers and 40 kg luggage while e-carts would transport goods up to 310 kg.
- The bill empowers Union Government to make the rules specifications, conditions and manner for issuing driving license.