On April 15, 2021, Ajay Prakash Sawhney, Secretary Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) launched 3 New Initiatives of the National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI). They are
- IP Guru – IPv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6) Expert Panel, NIXI Academy & NIXI-IP-Index
- Through these initiatives, NIXI aims to play a supporting role for IPv6 awareness and adoption in India along with the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) & MeitY.
IP Guru (IPv6 Expert Panel)
- It will provide technical support to Indian entities who are planning to migrate/adapt to IPv6.
- It is a joint effort of DoT, MeitY to promote IPv6. The panel will have members from Government/Private Organizations.
- It was created to educate technical/non-technical people in India about IPv6.
- NIXI has developed an IPv6 index portal for the Internet community. It will showcase IPv6 adoption rate in India and across the world.
Internet Protocol Version 6
IPv6 is the most recent version of the Internet Protocol (IP), it intends to replace IPv4.
- An IP is used to identify devices across the internet so that they can be located.
- Moving to IPv6 will provide a Better performance, increased Security & availability of more IP addresses.
- It was developed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
- It is a not for profit Organization under section 8 of the Companies Act 2013 and was registered on 19th June 2003.
- It was set up to facilitate improved internet services in India.
About National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI):
CEO – Anil Kumar Jain
Headquarters – New Delhi