On February 15, 2021, Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) delivered the Third of Six Kalvari-class submarines based on ‘Scorpene Class’ to the Indian Navy at Mumbai, Maharashtra. The submarine will be commissioned into the Indian Navy in March, 2021 as ‘INS Karanj’.
- ‘INS Karanj’ successfully completed its sea trials which began in January, 2018.
- The submarine has been designed by French company ‘The Naval Group’ (formerly known as DCNS) & constructed in MDL, Mumbai under Project 75 (P-75).
- The 2 previous Scorpene-Class Submarines which have been commissioned & are presently operated by the Indian Navy are INS Kalvari (Commissioned in December, 2017) & INS Khanderi (Commissioned in September, 2019).
Vice Admiral Narayan Prasad (retired), Chairman & Managing Director of MDL and Western Naval Command’s Chief of Staff Officer (technical) Rear Admiral B Sivakumar signed the documents during the launch.
- In 2005, India & France signed an agreement for construction of 6 Scorpene Class Submarines under the contract ‘P-75’. Under the contract, it was decided that the Scorpenes will be built at MDL, Mumbai.
- Scorpenes are diesel-electric attack submarines capable of undertaking tasks like anti-submarine & anti-surface warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, and area surveillance.
- It is equipped with superior stealth features and has the ability to launch attacks on enemies using precision guided weapons.
- The submarine can also be mounted with Torpedoes & tube-launched anti-ship missiles.
Status of 6 Scorpene Submarines:
With 3 Scorpenes inducted into the Indian Navy, 3 more submarines are under development/sea trials phase which include INS Vela, INS Vagir & INS Vagsheer is at the stage of outfitting.
- The delivery of all 6 Submarines is expected to be completed by 2022.
Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL):
- MDL is a shipyard situated in Mazagaon, Bombay. It is Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Government of India.
- At present, MDL is constructing Leander and Godavari class frigates, Khukri class Corvettes, Delhi & Kolkata class Destroyers, Shivalik class Stealth Frigates.
Recent Related News:
i.On November 12, 2020, MoS for Defence, Shripad Naik virtually launched the Indian Navy’s 5th Scorpene-class Submarine ‘INS Vagir’ in Arabian sea waters at Mazagon Dock, Mumbai.
About Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL):
CMD – Vice Admiral Narayan Prasad
Location – Mazagon, Mumbai, Maharashtra
About Indian Navy:
List of Destroyers in Indian Navy – Kolkata Class (INS Kolkata, INS Kochi, INS Chennai), Delhi Class (INS Delhi, INS Mysore, INS Mumbai), Rajput Class (INS Rajput, INS Rana, INS Ranvir, INS Ranvijay)