The Maharashtra Assembly lead by Devendra Fadnavis passed the Prohibition of Social Boycott Bill 2016 to becoming the first State to enact such a law.He also launched the ‘Mission Drinking Water’ to conquer water crisis
Prohibition of Social Boycott Bill:
Aim: To crack down on extra-judicial bodies such as caste and community panchayats.
Key Features of Prohibition of Social Boycott Bill :
- The Bill provides for prohibition of social boycott of a person or group of persons by an individual or a group like caste panchayat.
- The Bill had incorporated provisions that enabled preventive action against any possibility of a caste panchayat imposing a social boycott.
The provisions of the law define social boycott as a cognisable, but bailable offence, and provide for an imprisonment of up to three years or Rs. 1 lakh fine or both.The maximum punishment for which will be seven years in prison or fine up to Rs. 5 lakh or both.
‘Mission Drinking Water’:
Maharashtra government constituted the Maharashtra Drought Relief Committee headed by Agriculture Minister Eknath Khadse and Opposition leader Radhakrishna Patil.
- The government has adopted a two-pronged strategy to scale up drought mitigation through Mission Drinking Water.
- To ensure changes in crop pattern to sustain wholistic development, which includes greater investments in agriculture and industries
- Maintaining that the state government was working 24×7 to tackle hardships of villagers.
- Maharashtra Capital : Mumbai
- Lonar Lake – A saltwater lake in Maharashtra was created by a meteor
- The heart of India Bollywood is situated in Mumbai