On March 10, 2021, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Labor & Employment Santosh Gangwar launched the convergence of the ESI (Employees State Insurance) Scheme with Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY (Pradhan Mantri-Jan Arogya Yojana) in 113 districts of 4 States – Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh & Maharashtra.
Objective – To ensure easy access to medical care
- The convergence will enable 1.35 Crore ESI Beneficiaries in 4 states to make use of cashless medical services through empanelled hospitals of Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY without any need of a referral.
- Along the same lines, the beneficiaries of PM-JAY can also avail themselves cashless treatment at 15 underutilized ESIC hospital/Medical Colleges in Bihar, Gujarat, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Rajasthan & Uttar Pradesh.
- The convergence was launched on the final day of Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) Special Services Fortnight at New Delhi.
Employees State Insurance (ESI) Scheme:
- ESI is a self-financing social security & health insurance scheme for Indian workers.
- It is managed by the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) which is a statutory and autonomous body under the Ministry of Labour & Employment, Government of India.
- The ESI fund is managed according to rules & regulations set in the ESI Act, 1948 (1st major legislation on social security for workers in Independent India).
- It is financed by contributions from Employers (4.75% of wages) and Employees (1.75% of wages).
Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY
- Launched in 2018 by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare as part of the Indian Government’s National Health Policy.
- Implementing Agency – National Health Authority
- Funding – Centrally sponsored and jointly funded by both the Central government & state government.
- Target – To provide free access to healthcare for 50 crore people in India.
- Budget Allocation in Union Budget 2021-22 – INR 6, 400 Crores.
Recent Related News:
i.On 13th August 2020, The Governing board of the National Health Authority (NHA) approved the proposal to integrate the existing health schemes of the central ministries with the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) for employees.
About Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC):
Chairman – Santosh Kumar Gangwar (Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Labor & Employment)
Head Office – New Delhi