The title of Sportsperson of the Year has been conferred upon long-distance runner Lalita Babar for the India Sports Awards 2015.
- The Indian Sports Award were presented in New Delhi on the last day of the “Turf 2015-16”, organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) with the support of the sports ministry.
Here is the list of other awardees
|Best company promoting sports (public sector)||Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd.|
|Best company promoting sports (private sector)||YES Bank Pvt Ltd.|
|Best professional services company||Technology Frontiers (India) Pvt Ltd.|
|Best NGO promoting sports||STAIRS|
|Best sports start-up||HotFut Sports Infrastructure Pvt Ltd|
|Best national sports federation||Amateur Kabaddi Federation of India|
|Sportsperson of the year||Lalita Babar (Athletics)|
|Breakthrough sportsperson of the year||Dipa Karmakar (Gymnastics)|
|Coach or support staff of the year||Kuldeep Handoo (Wushu)|
|Lifetime achievement award||Balbir Singh|
About Lalita Babar
1989 born Lalita Babar is an Indian long-distance runner who competes in the 3000 metres steeplechase and is the current Indian national record holder in the same event.
- She is currently supported by Anglian Medal Hunt Company.
- In 2014, she became the hat-trick winner of the Mumbai Marathon.
- At the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, she won the silver medal.
- At the 2015 Asian Championships, she won the gold medal.
- In the process, she qualified for the 2016 Summer Olympics.
At the 2015 World Championships in Beijing, she became first Indian woman to qualify for the steeplechase final and stood 8th.