Navies of India & Three other QUAD (Quadrilateral Security Dialogue) Countries namely US, Japan and Australia participated in the Multilateral French Maritime Exercise ‘La Perouse’. The Exercise took place from April 5-7, 2021 in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region and was led by the French Navy.
- It is the 1st time ever that Indian Navy assets are participating in the French defence exercise.
- The Indian Navy Assets which participated in the exercise are INS Satpura, INS Kiltan along with P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
- The Indian Navy assets participated in drills at sea with ships & aircraft of French Navy (FN), Royal Australian Navy (RAN), Japan Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) & United States Navy (USN).
- Complex and advanced naval operations were conducted which included the surface warfare, weapon firing exercises, tactical manoeuvres& seamanship evolutions.
- It also included cross deck flying operations, and anti-air warfare and air defence exercises.
Assets of other countries
- French ship Tonnerre, an amphibious assault ship & frigate Surcouf participated in the exercise.
- The US Navy was represented by Somerset, an amphibious transport dock ship.
- From Australia, Her Majesty’s Australian Ships (HMAS) Anzac, a frigate and tanker Sirius were deployed by RAN.
- From Japanese side, Destroyer Akebono took part in the exercise.
The 1st edition of La Perouse joint exercise was initiated by France in 2019.
- The participants of the 1st Edition exercise were Australia, Japan & US.
- It has been named after an 18th Century French Naval explorer, Jean-François de Galaup, comte de Lapérouse.
List of Indo-French Exercises
- Varuna – Naval Exercise
- Desert-Knight 21 & Garuda – Air Exercise
- Shakti – Army Exercise
Recent Related News:
i.On 8th March, 2021 France started its 5-day long 1st Military Exercise in Space, “AsterX” to analyse its ability against attacks on its Satellites & other defence equipment.
President – Emmanuel Macron
Capital – Paris
Currency – Euro, CFP franc