American Helicopter Society (AHS) International has awarded ‘World’s Outstanding Aerospace Engineer Leadership Award’ to Dr. Arvind Sinha – an India-born aeronautics engineer, currently based in Australia. This award is a prestigious honour for leadership excellence in the field of vertical flight technology.
About AHS International:
The AHS International is world’s only non-profit technical society dedicated to the advancement of vertical flight technology. It comprises scientists, engineers and researcher working in this field.
- Formation Year: 1943
- Location: Virginia, US
- Executive Director: Michael Hirschberg
Brief Biography of Dr. Arvind Sinha:
Sinha has expertise in Tactical Aerospace Systems for unmanned aircrafts and helicopters.
- He studied at Sainik School Satara and the National Defence Academy (NDA) in Maharashtra.
- Due to his IIT specialisation work in Helicopter Design, he was selected for a doctoral project-based application research under an Australian Government-sponsored scholarship with Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT).
Important Positions Held by Dr. Arvind Sinha:
- Former Professor and Director of Aerospace and Aviation Research Centre at the RMIT
- Former Dean of the Faculty of Aviation – Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering in India
- Commander of elite units of Electronic Warfare and Airborne Special Forces – Indian Army
Current Positions held by Dr. Arvind Sinha:
- Sinha is currently working on Australian Army and Navy aviation platform and systems technologies.
- He holds the position of Director of Engineering, Helicopter Systems Division, Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group (CASG) – Department of Defence, Australia
- Sinha also holds the title of Professor of Aerospace Design at an Australian public research university in Melbourne – Monash University
Other achievements of Dr. Arvind Sinha:
- Sinha has received several awards for military operations, design projects and academia.
- He was also bestowed the title of AHS Honorary Fellow in May 2016. This title is given to AHS members who have shown “exceptional leadership, or made innovative or other meritorious contributions, that have significantly advanced AHS International and the vertical flight community.”
- During his stint as a Major in Indian army, he was in-charge of an engineering unit in Siachen Glacier as part of Operation Meghdoot in year 1984. He was posted in Siachen for 2 years. For enduring those harsh conditions for such a long time his unit was honoured with a Special Operations order.