On April 25, 2018, Union Human Resource Development Ministry launched Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0 in New Delhi.
Salient features of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0:
- Unnat Bharat Abhiyan is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Human Resources Development, which seeks to bring in transformational change in rural developmental process by leveraging knowledge base and resources of the Premier Institutions of India.
- Under Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0, students from selected colleges and universities will go to nearby villages to get acquainted with the life of the village people and the problems faced by them in day to day life.
- Through this activity, students will not only learn about the basic challenges faced by rural people but would also be encouraged to come up with practical solutions for their betterment.
- Under the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan 2.0, 750 reputed Higher Educational Institutes (both public and private) have been selected and faculty and students of each selected institute would adopt a cluster of villages/panchayats to undertake above stated activity.
- Firstly, the faculty and students will have to study the living conditions in the adopted villages and thereafter identify problems which may be related to health, cleanliness, plantation, waste management, financial inclusion, women and child development.
- Based on the above findings, a workable action plan has to be prepared incorporating possibilities of leveraging the technological interventions and the need to improve the processes in implementation of various government schemes.
- Inputs and insights from these plans would be used for rural development programmes by the Government.
- Indian Institute of Technology – IIT Delhi has been designated as the National Coordinating Institute for this programme. Besides, selected institutes would also have to coordinate with the district administration and elected public representatives of panchayat/villages.