IUCN World Conservation Congress held in the Hawaiian capital, Honolulu is hosted by the State of Hawaiʻi with the support of the Department of State of the USA. IUCN President Zhang Xinsheng officially opened the 6th IUCN World Conservation Congress aiming at conserving the nature, studying innovative approaches of conservation and harnessing the solutions nature offers to global challenges.
About IUCN Congress :
The Congress aims to improve how we manage our natural environment for human, social and economic development, but this cannot be achieved by conservationists alone.
- The IUCN Congress is the place to put aside differences and work together to create good environmental governance, engaging all parts of society to share both the responsibilities and the benefits of conservation.
- The Congress is the place where IUCN’s more than 1,300 Member organizations exercise their rights, influence the global conservation agenda and guide IUCN’s work plan for the four years to follow.
- The IUCN congress Forum is a hub of public debate, bringing together people from all walks of life to discuss the world’s most pressing conservation and sustainability challenges.
- It includes many different types of events from high level dialogues to training workshops which explore the depths of conservation and innovation.
IUCN Congress 2016 :
The 2016 International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) World Congress will focus on the theme “Planet at the Crossroads”.
- Among other objectives, the World Congress will launch the Hawai’i commitments: globally transformative and innovative conservation initiatives to meet the critical challenges and opportunities of our time, including the imperative to scale up action on biodiversity and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- The IUCN World Congress meets every four years to bring together leaders from government, the public sector, non-governmental organizations, business, UN agencies and indigenous and grass-roots organizations to discuss and decide on solutions to environment and development challenges worldwide.
- The event will hold a public forum consisting of debates, workshops, dialogues, round-table discussions, training courses, music and exhibitions, as well as a Members’ Assembly that will deliberate on IUCN resolutions and recommendations regarding key conservation issues.