Its the sad end to Nepal’s famous heritage site, Dharahara Tower, as it collapsed after an earthquake on Saturday, 25th April 2015.The 9 storied tower was one of Kathmandu’s famous tourists attractions. It was built in 1832 in 19th century.The tower, white in colour and topped with bronse minaret with spiral type staircases was reduced to debris after an earthquake of magnitude 7.9 struck Nepal.
- Durbar Square,centre of Kathmandu is filled with rubble after the earthquake.
- Complex above the city, a major holiest site of Buddhism was also in shambles.
- Its said more than 2500 people had lost their lives in the earthquake.
- The Dharahara Tower offered panoramic view of Kathmandu valley.
- At Kathmandu’s main hospital, there were many people with broken limbs being rushed for treatment.
- Volunteers and crowd formed human chains to help the ambulances in taking the injured people to the hospital.
Durbar Square, located in the heart of bustling capital, was captured so beautifully in the famous 1983 hindi movie Mahaan featuring Amitabh Bachchan and Zeenat Aman.
INFORMATION REGARDING DHARAHARA TOWERS
- It was built in 1832 by Bhimsena Thapa.
- Its the Nepal’s tallest building built and second such tower built by Bhimsen Thapa.
- First tower was built 8years before in 1824.
- It was built for Queen Lalit Tripura Sundari, niece of Bhimsen Thapa.
- Its architecture was designed in Mughal and European style.
- It was used as a watch tower for military purposes.
- Earthquake is also known as tremor or quake.
- Its the sudden release of energy in the Earth’s crust that creates seismic waves.
- These Earthquakes are measured by means of Seismometers.
- Its is measured on magnitude scale known as Ritcher Scale.
- In Japan, an Earthquake of magnitude 9 on Ritcher Scale was measured in 2011.
- In India first Earthquake was reported in the year 1736 in Kolkata on 11th October.