In Order to propel the Wind Energy Potential in India, Union government will soon unveil a policy to give incentives including an interest discount of 0.25 % for increasing capacity of Wind mills of up to 1MW.
- The objective of the mooted policy is to promote optimum utilisation of wind energy resources by creating facilitative framework for repowering.
- The policy mooted by Ministry of New and Renewable energy will float a draft for repowering of Wind power projects in the country.
- Wind mills installed before the year 2000 are up to the Capacity of 500 KW in high potential wind sites which has to be replaced with higher capacity mills.
- Around 3000 MW power is generated from wind turbines of 500 KW or below, In order to use the optimum potential repowering is required.
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency will provide an additional interest rate of 0.25 % on the repowering projects, the benefits available to the new wind projects will come under the ambit of Generation Based Incentive.
India’s Stand in Wind Energy:
- India’s Share of renewable power capacity in India is from wind energy. India has started harnessing of the wind power prior to 1990.
- India generating Wind power capacity is over 25 GW which is fourth in the world after China US and Germany.