On the eve of the 67th Republic Day Celebrations, President Pranab Mukherjee has approved 365 gallantry and other defence awards to honour extraordinary bravery and courage as well as distinguished service of the armed forces personnel and others. These awards were established in 1952.
Here is the list of Honours and Awards
It is India’s highest peacetime military decoration awarded for valor, courageous action or self-sacrifice away from the battlefield. It replaced the British George Cross. Flt Lt Suhas Biswas was the first Indian Air Force officer to be awarded the Ashoka Chakra.
- For 2016, it has been awarded posthumously to 13625566W Lance Naik Mohan Nath Goswami of 9 Para (Special Forces)/6th Battalion of the Rashtriya Rifles for his acts of most conspicuous gallantry.
- He eliminated two terrorists and assisted in evacuation of his wounded colleagues during terrorist attack in Darel forest at Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir. He made a supreme sacrifice in the highest traditions of the Indian Army.
It is second in order of precedence of peacetime gallantry awards. Before 1967, the award was known as the Ashoka Chakra, Class II.
- Subedar Mahendra Singh – Recognizing his Selflessness and courage beyond compare while eliminating two foreign terrorists and assisting in casualty evacuation despite being paralysed below the waist during terrorists in Darel forest at Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Sepoy Jagdish Chand (Posthumous) – He has been recognized for his great presence of mind, unmatched bravery and valour during 02/01/2016 terrorists attack which minimized further loss of lives. His actions were also a setback to the terrorists.
It is third in order of precedence of peacetime gallantry awards and comes after the Ashoka Chakra and the Kirti Chakra. Before 1967, the award was known as the Ashoka Chakra, Class III. Following is the list of 8 awardees of 2016:
|Colonel Santosh Yashwant Mahadik (Posthumous)|
|Sepoy Dharma Ram (Posthumous)|
|Major Praphul Kumar Bhardwaj|
|Lieutenant Harjinder Singh|
|Naik Kheem Singh Mehra|
|Major Anurag Kumar|
|Major Sandip Yadav|
|Naik Satish Kumar|
Wartime Gallantry Awards – It recognizes highest degree of valour or self-sacrifice in the presence of the enemy.
- Param Vir Chakra (PVC) – Highest military decoration in the war time gallantry awards.
- Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) – Second highest military decoration in the war time gallantry awards.
- Vir Chakra – Third highest military decoration in the war time gallantry awards.
Peacetime Gallantry Awards – It recognizes highest degree of valour or self-sacrifice away from the battlefield viz. Ashok Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Shaurya Chakra.