A recent survey among the travelers revealed that Five Indian museums featured among the best 25 in Asia while Leh’s ‘Hall of Fame’ has topped the India list as a “must-visit” place.
- The Museum of Qin Terracotta Warriors and Horse in China topped the Asia list.
Top 5 in the World:
Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Art Institute of Chicago, State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace, Musee d’Orsay, Paris and National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico.
Top 5 museums in India :
|Leh’s Hall of Fame,
|Bagore Ki Haveli (Udaipur),
|Victoria Memorial Hall (Kolkata),
|Salar Jung Museum (Hyderabad) and
|Jaisalmer War Museum (Jaisalmer)
About Leh’s Hall of Fame :
The Hall of Fame, located near the Leh Airfiled, is a museum constructed as well as maintained by the Indian Army in the memory of the soldiers who had lost their lives during the Indo-Pak wars.
- It is also termed as a memorial for the war heros. This building consists of two floors.
- While on the ground floor, there is information about the brave soldiers as and a souvenir shop but on the first floor, there are artifacts of various wars (mainly Kargil war) such as the weapons used during the war and some important documents, related to the same. There is another section dedicated to the Siachen glacier.
About Bagore K Haveli :
Bagore-ki-Haveliis a haveli in Udaipur in Rajasthan state in India. It is right on the waterfront of Lake Pichola at Gangori Ghat. Amir Chand Badwa, the Prime Minister of Mewar, built it in the eighteenth century.
- There are 138 rooms, as well as numerous corridors & balconies, courtyards and terraces. The interiors of the Haveli are embellished with intricate and fine mirror work. While strolling in the Haveli, you can also see the private quarters of the royal ladies, their bath rooms, dressing rooms, bed rooms, living rooms, worship rooms and recreation rooms.
- The Chambers of the Royal Ladies still bear fine frescoes of the Mewari style and there are glorious coloured-glass windows in some of the rooms as well as two peacocks made with coloured glass mosaics that display the superb skills of the finest craftsmanship.
- Unique symbols of the Rajputclan, such as jewellery boxes, dice-games, hukkas, pan boxes, nut crackers, hand fans, rose water sprinklers, copper vessels and other items are also on display here.
- In the evening, the haveli lightens and stages enjoyable performance of traditional dance and music of Rajasthan. The haveli looks marvelous with glowing lights in the night. Bagore Ki Haveli is a perfect place to explore the ancient architecture and life style of the royal family.
About Victoria Memorial Hall :
The Victoria Memorial is a large marble building in Kolkata (formerly Calcutta), West Bengal, India, which was built between 1906 and 1921.
- It is dedicated to the memory of Queen Victoria (1819–1901) and is now a museum and tourist destination under the auspices of the Ministry of Culture. The Memorial lies on the Maidan (grounds) by the bank of the Hooghly River, near Jawaharlal Nehru road.
About Salar Jung Museum :
The Salar Jung Museum is an art museum located at Darushifa, on the southern bank of the Musi river in the city of Hyderabad,Telangana, India. It is one of the three National Museums of India.
- It has a collection of sculptures, paintings, carvings, textiles, manuscripts, ceramics, metallic artefacts, carpets, clocks, and furniture from Japan, China, Burma, Nepal, India, Persia, Egypt,Europe, and North America.
- The museum’s collection was sourced from the property of the Salar Jung family. It is one of the largest museums in the world
About Jaisalmer War Museum :
The Jaisalmer War Museum was conceived by Lieutenant General Bobby Mathews, AVSM, VSM, General Officer Commanding, Desert Corps and constructed by the Desert Corps of the Indian Army.
- It was dedicated to the Nation by Lieutenant General Ashok Singh, PVSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, ADC, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Southern Command,Indian Army, on 24 August 2015.
- The Jaisalmer War Museum is a first-of-its-kind initiative and showcases the glorious history of the Indian Army. The Museum also displays war exhibits which include vehicles and equipment captured during the course of operations in 1965 and 1971.
- The Jaisalmer War Museum, popularly known as JWM, has an Honour Wall engraved with the names of the Param Vir Chakra and Maha Vir Chakra gallantry award winners, two large Information Display Halls – Indian Army Hall andLaungewala Hall, an Audio Visual Room, a well stocked souvenir shop and a cafeteria.
- AHunter Aircraft of the Indian Air Force, which destroyed enemy tank columns during the famous Battle of Laungewala is also displayed to signify the synergy between the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force which led to victory in various conflicts.
- The Jaisalmer War Museum is located 10 km short of Jaisalmer on the Jaisalmer – Jodhpur Highway. The inauguration of the Museum in the Golden Jubilee Commemoration Year of 1965 Indo Pak War is also a tribute to all soldiers who made the supreme sacrifice.
- The entry to the Jaisalmer War Museum is open to and free for all visitors. The museum has already become a popular tourist attraction in the Jodhpur -Jaisalmer tourist circuit.