‘Quit India’ came not from the lips but the aching heart of millions. In this open rebellion, the Indian (1 ) reached its climax. The British were not only (2 ) by it, but also were obliged to quit unilaterally. The importance of Quit India can be (3 ) from Lord Linlithgow’s statement “ I am engaged here, in meeting by far the most (4 ) rebellion since that 1857, the gravity and extent ill which we have so far (5 ) from the world for reasons of military security”. Still more significant was Churchill’s gloomy disclosure to the King emperor that “the idea of (6 ) power had become an admitted (7 ) in the minds of British party leaders ”, although his public statements were diametrically opposite. The (8 ) created by Quit India made the British (9) that they could no longer keep India in (10) .
- (a) patriotism (b) freedom (c) liberation (d) revolution (e) leadership
- (a) attacked (b) inspired (c) enfeebled (d) threatened (e) impressed
- (a) established (b) diffused (c) gauged (d) determined (e) invigorated
- (a) trivial (b) serious (c) auspicious (d) praiseworthy (e) magnificent
- (a) elicited (b) excluded (c) abstained (d) concealed (e) prevented
- (a) transfer (b) seizure (c) grabbing (d) retainment (e) enhancement
- (a) fantasy (b) tactics (c) occurence (d) inevitability (e) disillusionment
- (a) anarchy (b) violence (c) taboos (d) exigencies (e) vengeance
- (a) anxious (b) realise (c) imagine (d) pretend (e) apprehend
- (a) exile (b) power (c) bondage (d) suspense (e) abeyance
Tips for answers:
- Unlike reading comprehension questions, for cloze test, there is no need to comprehend the passage. Complete the questions as quick as possible. That’s the aim.
- There is no need of reading the passage before answering. Just answer the blanks as you read the passage.
- Read the sentences containing the blanks carefully and understand the meaning to fill in the blanks correctly. No need of understanding the passage as a whole. Focus on the individual sentence completion.
- Substitute each of the suggested words for each blank, check the suitability of each substituted word and finalize. Never finalize without trying every option unless you are 100% sure about the answer. Accuracy is the main challenge faced in this type of question.
- Read English books and newspapers regularly to improve your vocabulary which helps you tremendously to solve this question.