The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) stated that the Kingdom of Denmark has signed the framework agreement of the International Solar Alliance Framework Agreement (ISA FA) and Instrument of Ratification with India.
- With this, Denmark became the 1st country to ratify ISA FA after the amendments to it entered into force on January 8, 2021.
- The signed copies of the agreement were received by an additional secretary (ER) as representative of MEA. MEA is the depositary of the ISA Framework Agreement.
International Solar Alliance (ISA)
ISA also known as International Agency for Solar Policy and Application (IASPA) was launched by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi & the then-French President Francois Hollande ahead of the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference or COP21 in Paris, France.
i.It aims to work for efficient consumption of solar energy for reducing dependence on fossil fuels & contribute to the implementation of the Paris Climate Agreement through the massive deployment of solar energy.
- It is an alliance of over 121 countries.
- At present 77 Countries have signed and ratified the ISA FA, while 95 countries have signed the ISA FA.
ii.The new ISA Framework Agreement came into force on January 8, 2021.
- Under the amended framework, the membership of ISA is open to all member states of the United Nations. Previously, it was open to countries that were partially or entirely located within the Tropics.
Recent Related News:
On March 17, 2021, Italy joined the ISA after signing the amended ISA Framework Agreement.
About International Solar Alliance (ISA)
Director General – Ajay Mathur
Headquarters – Gurugram, Haryana, India
Prime Minister – Mette Frederiksen
Capital – Copenhagen
Currency – Danish Krone